The following councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles, Mr R Rose (County Councillor) Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor). Also present Mr W Oddy, Community Safety Officer from West Oxfordshire District Council. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. CRIME AND DISORDER
The Chairman invited Mr Oddy, Community Safety Officer for WODC to talk about how the Crime and Disorder Act affects the Parish Council. WODC provides a small service supporting the police with such things as drugs, alcohol abuse and public disorder incidents. The Parish Council is expected to be aware of the Crime and Disorder Act in all actions they take; for example, if a bench is placed in a dark area it may attract young people and anti social behaviour. He also talked about the new system of Anti Social Behaviour Orders in relation to the recent vandalism on the play equipment and pavilion. This is dealt with under Matters Arising. Help and advice on such matters can be obtained from the Community Safety Department at WODC.
2. APOLOGIES There were no apologies for absence
3. MINUTES The District Councillor pointed out that she was not on the Highways Committee as stated in the last minutes. This was corrected and the minutes of the meeting held on 9th June were then agreed and signed.
4. MATTERS ARISING
Sewerage: The report from Thames Water was expected by the end of June but nothing has been received. Clerk to contact Environment Agency/Thames Water. Action: Clerk
Vandalism: This continues to be a problem. More obscene graffiti has been found on the play equipment and stones are being thrown onto the pavilion roof. Damage has also been done to a garden adjoining the playing field. Chairman to write an article for the Grapevine, Clerk to contact Adey Cole at WODC Community Safety and ask the police to increase their presence in this area of the village.
Overgrown Hedge: Clerk will write to Mr Izod about the hedge on Chipping Norton Road. Action: Clerk
Rubbish near the Railway Line: No progress. Rubbish is now overgrown.
Publication Scheme: No progress
a) The Chairman explained that there had been some problems regarding the agreement of the lease. There was some disagreement between the developers and the solicitors concerning the wording of the outstanding issues. This had caused a delay and the developer had been unhappy because it was holding up the sale of the houses on the development and they threatened to pull out of the shop if a 24hr deadline was not reached. The solicitors spoke to each other last Friday and the lease has now been agreed. The Chairman stressed that this is not strictly a Parish Council matter as the shop is now run by the Ascott under Wychwood Village Community Shop Industrial and Providence Society
b) Darrell Penning of the Village Shop Management Committee reported on progress. The total raised from the village is now at £12,000, this includes £2.500 from the open gardens weekend. There are letters of intent, depending on matched funding, for a further £75,000 in grants and mortgage. 180 ownership shares have been taken up. Further fund raising events planned are a Brunch in the village hall in August and a Fun Run in September, sponsorship for this event is going very well. Challenges ahead are finding a Manager and training for volunteers working in the shop. The building work is going very well.
Kerbing in Shipton Road and Dawls Close Sign: No progress. Clerk to contact Highways and also add the kerbing at High Street and London Lane.
Good Councillors Guide: Clerk to order free copies.
Notice Boards: The problems of notices being removed seems to have stopped.
· A letter had been received from Mrs Pauline Carter of the Roseneath School of Music expressing her disappointment that the Parish Council were not able to make a donation to the Summer Concert. It was agreed that no donation would be given.
· A letter from WODC Administrative Services had been received asking if we require more dog bins. It was agreed that we do not.
· The Charity Commissioners who administer the Poor’s Estate Charity had written to advise of the death of Mr Taylor, the clerk and requested any information we might have about the running of the Charity. Letter was passed to Mr Pearce who will contact the charity Commissioners. Action: Mr M Pearce
W2002/1445 DEMOLITION OF EXISTING DWELLING AND ERECTION OF SIX DWELLINGS AND CONSTRUCTION OF NEW VEHICULAR ACCESS TO GARAGE COURTYARD at 2A SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Appeal Pending. Hearing has taken place.
03/0630 DEMOLISH EXISTING CONSERVATORY AND OUTBUILDINGS. ERECTION OF TWO STORY SIDE EXTENSION AND FRONT EXTENSIONS PROVIDING NEW PORCH, WC, LOG STORE, WORKSHOP, DOUBLE GARAGE (WITH LOFT SPACE ABOVE) AND UTILITY ROOM (WITH PLANT ROOM AND STORAGE ABOVE).
CONSTRUCTION OF TWO STOREY, SELF-CONTAINED GRANNY ANNEXE WITH SINGLE STOREY LINK THROUGH TO MAIN HOUSE. ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING ACCESS at THE CEDARS, 8 LONDON LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
W2003/0577 ALTERATIONS TO BARN AND CHANGE OF USE FROM
AGRICULTURAL TO AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRAIN at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding A meeting has taken place between the planning officer the crown agent. The planning officer is to recommend withdrawal of the current application and a new plan to be submitted to take into account all activities at Crown Farm.
W2002/0866 CHANGE OF USE OF GROUND FLOOR SHOP TO RESIDENTIAL at CORNER HOUSE FARM, HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Outstanding
W2002/1943 DEMOLITION OF BUNGALOW AND ERECTION OF FOURTEEN DWELLINGS AND NINE GARAGES at 18 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Outstanding. Appeal pending – starting date 3rd July 2003.
W2003/1217 CONSTRUCTION OF ALL WEATHER GALLOP FOR EXERCISING HORSES at LAND AT BRASSWELL LANE FIELD, BRASSWELL LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
7. FINANCIAL REPORT
Paid Out: Cornhill Insurance 873.11
Vale Insurance 168.00
Mrs M Ismail quarter yr salary 436.80
Mrs M Ismail Tel. Expenses 7.50
Mr Fox circulated proposed Financial Regulations for discussion and adoption or change at the next meeting. The Chairman thanked Mr Fox for his hard work in producing the document.
Insurance: The Chairman had obtained an acceptable quote for the tractor and gang mower from Vale Insurance, shown above.
8. REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
Mr Rose reported that he had been on the Scrutiny Committee looking at CCTV in Witney. Much time had been spent on the white paper from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister regarding changes to the Fire and Rescue Service. It is proposed that County Councils will do their own risk assessment and Mr Rose felt that in some ways this was a good idea.
Mrs Hibbert-Biles reported that WODC have opposed the closure of local ambulance services and consultations are ongoing. She talked about the proposals from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister for regional housing. In future regions will have to join together to bid for money and all available money will have conditions attached. WODC is supporting the campaign to get Broadband into the area by dropping leaflets and more advertising. The battle to save Langston House is ongoing, there had been a meeting with The Order of St John and they had failed to give the necessary figures. They are now doing a new needs survey which is due in August. The letters to the working party had been effective. There are investigations into whether the land was a charitable gift which may have restrictions on its use. Burford hospital has again been deferred and negotiations are on going for fewer beds. Mrs Hibbert-Biles had enjoyed coming to the Ascott Church Fete.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS There were no public questions.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Mrs Pearse had been asked why the Parish Council had charged the Church £50 to use the playing field for the Church Fete. The Chairman explained that it was not the Parish Council but the Sports Club who had made the charge.
It was agreed to raise the charge to the football club from £150 to £200 for the lease of the playing field from September.
The Clerk was asked to obtain Change of Declaration of Interest forms for all Councillors now on committees for the village shop and holding shares in the Industrial and Providence Society.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.25 pm and the next meeting will be held on Monday 8th September 2003.