The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mrs H Hibbert-Biles District Councillor), Mr R Rose, (County Councillor). Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES There were no apologies for absence
2. MINUTES There was an amendment to Item 5 in the minutes of the meeting held on 12th January 2004. These minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Sewerage: Mrs Hibbert-Biles asked the councillors to identify land ownership on a map of the village and surrounding area for the County engineers. The Environmental Agency will be taking responsibly from the railway to the bridge on Chipping Norton hill.
Vandalism: The clerk reported that there had been a number of incidents since the last meeting. The children involved have been identified and the police have spoken to them and their parents. Incident diaries have been given to the people involved. Mrs Byles reported that the bus timetable had been vandalised.
Risk Assessment: No progress
Shop: Mr Fox reported that the shop had a record weeks takings of over £2000 during the bad weather and takings continue to be good. New freezers are required for meat and ice cream and air conditioning will be needed in the summer. The range and quantity of goods is up by 30%. The shop is well covered by volunteers although more would be welcome.
Litter Bin: Clerk reported that it would cost £360 to purchase a bin from WODC. At present they are not providing any new bins but will replace existing ones. It was agreed that the shop would obtain a bin that could be taken indoors at night for the time being.
Kerbing: Awaiting highways
Plaque: Mr Pearce has erected the blue plaque from Sport England inside the pavilion to stop it being vandalised.
Sign Post: Awaiting highways
Give Way Sign: Has been repaired.
Footpath Opposite Green: Highways have widened the footpath along London Lane but have not cleared the footpath opposite the Green. Clerk to contact them.
Street Sign at Yew Tree Farm: Awaiting WODC.
Crown Farm Fire: This was not reported to Environmental Health as the fire seems to be out now.
Wychwood School: A letter has been received from Andrew Smith of the PTA thanking the Parish Council for the £500 donation.
Tourist Signs: District Councillor will speak to the tourist department at WODC. Roger Shepherd and Chris Badger have agreed that the signs can go on existing signposts on their land on the Charlbury Road and the A361. Clerk to ask planning if permission is needed to put up signs. Action: Clerk/District Counillor
Radio Oxford: Fred Russell has been put in touch with Radio Oxford and has agreed to give a live interview on the Alison Booker Show to talk about Ascott.
Parking: Problems with parking were mentioned in the Parish Council report in the Grapevine.
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service had written to invite councillors to give feedback on proposals about the future of the service at a forum on 12th February. No one was able to attend.
WODC had written regarding the ROSPA playground inspections. It was agreed that there will be two inspections per year in the spring and autumn. Clerk to organise.
A letter had been received from Oxfordshire Community Foundation with information about grants for worthy causes. This was passed to Mr Fox.
03/1960/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL TO AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISTING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON-COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR PURPOSE OF THE LIVERY (PART RETROSPECTIVE). Outstanding
A decision on this application was deferred from the meeting of the Uplands Area Planning Sub-Committee held on 5th January 2004 and a formal site visit took place on 29th January prior to the Sub Committee meeting on 2nd February 2004.
Following the site visit and meeting of the sub committee this application has been deferred again to enable highways to comment on the access.
03/2206/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO SIDE ELEVATION at THE BRIARS, 2 MEADOW BANK CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Outstanding
03/2363/P/FP ERECTION OF SECURE SHED AND LOG/COAL SHELTER (RETROSPECTIVE) at OLD STATION YARD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
After discussion it was agreed that there is no objection to the buildings if they will help to clear up the site. There is concern about the way planning is sought retrospectively, the unsightly state of the coal yard, poorly drawn plans and the building not being in keeping with the surroundings. Clerk to write to planning making these points. Action: Clerk
A letter in reply to the Parish Council objections was received from the planning department on 28th January 2004 saying that the applicant has been informed that the proposed block work will not be acceptable and that they will recommend to the Uplands Area Planning Sub-Committee that all buildings on the site will have to be rendered in a stone colour or have a stone facing.
04/0033/P/PF: CHANGE OF USE OF EXISITING STORAGE BARN TO RESIDENTIAL DWELLING WITH ASSOCIATED CAR PARKING AND LANDSCAPING at BETWEEN 2 & 4 CHURCH CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
04/0056/P/FP: DEMOLISH EXISITING WORKSHOP. ERECTION OF GARAGE FOR STORAGE OF VINTAGE VEHICLES. ERECTION OF GATES TO ALLOW ACCESS TO DRIVEWAY at 6 HERITAGE LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
04/0188/P/FP: ERECTION OF DETACHED DOUBLE GARAGE AND STORE WITH LIVING ACCOMMODATION OVER at 1 HERITAGE LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
04/0203/P/FP: ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO FRONT ELEVATION at THE BRIARS, 2 MEADOWBANK CLOSE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
Mr Fox circulated a summary of income and expenditure. Since the report was produced an invoice has been received for £2,500 for work done by WODC on kerbing around the green. Taking this into account there is £5,300 in hand.
The preschool has used a grant to put Astroturf at Tiddy Hall and they would like to know if the Parish Council can pay the bill to avoid VAT. Mr Fox will investigate if it is possible that it could be an extension and improvement to the village hall and be exempt of VAT. It may not be possible to avoid paying VAT if they have already commissioned the work. Mr Pearce to talk to Pauline Plant.
It was agreed that the donation to the Grapevine would be increased to from £200 to £250.
It was agreed that the rents for the pound, pavilion, playing field for Cricket Club and school would remain the same for the coming year.
Cheques paid out:
Cotswold Line Subscription 10.00
Clerks ¼ yr salary 436.80
Clerk Tel. Expenses 7.50
Village Shop Association 700.00
Donation to Wychwood School 500.00
WODC Waste Collection 87.07
Bank Charge for Cancelled chq 7.50
WODC kerbing work around Green 2500.00
Allotment Rent 100.00
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
Councillor Rose reported that the Boundary Commission had completed their report and the Wychwoods would lose Churchill and Finstock and gain Minster Lovell and Hailey. The County budget will be agreed tomorrow there will be 6.1/4% increase in council tax which will bring a Band D to £924.81.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
The ambulance review has gone through and the district councillor believes the area will now be better covered but the service needs more vehicles and crew. Witney hospital and the Minor Injuries Unit will stay open despite moves to close beds and opening times. The District have been told by the government that they will capped which seems unjust as their charges are the second lowest in the country and low compared with neighbouring districts. Final proposals for Langston House will be made on 2nd March.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
There were no public questions
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Wychwood Day Centre: It was agreed to give a donation of £50 to the Wychwood Day Centre. Action: Clerk
Post Box: It was agreed to ask the post office for a new post box near the shop or a bigger opening on the existing one to take large envelopes.
Church Close: Mrs Byles asked for it to be recorded that the residents in Church Close had contributed to the tarmac therefore it is an unadopted road.
Poors Estate: At a meeting of the Poors Estate trustees it was agreed that new trustees should be appointed. The existing long standing trustees had agreed to step down with the exception of Rev. Mark Abrey the Chairman and Mr M Pearce who has been acting Chairman during Rev Abreys illness. New trustees have to be appointed from the Parish Council. Mr Braithwaite and Mr Fox left the room and they were proposed as trustees of the Poors Estate by Mr Pearce and seconded by Mrs Wendy Pearse. Mr Pearce also reported that Mr Mark Dawbarn was willing to act as a trustee.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.40 pm and the next meeting will be held on 8th March 2004.