The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Three members of the public were also present. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
Mr Richard Tracey and Mr David Banham from the Oxfordshire Ambulance Service gave a presentation about the Community First Responder Scheme before the start of the meeting.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose, County Councillor and Mrs H Hibbert-Biles, District Councillor.
2. MINUTES The Chairman signed the Declaration of Office in the minutes of the meeting held on 10th May 2004. The minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Vandalism: The new litter bin was vandalised within an hour of being installed. WODC have now put in a concrete base.
Clerk had been in touch with PC Badrick and he was intending to speak to the Cornbury Agent about allowing the young people to use the barns. He is on holiday at present and the Clerk could not confirm that this had been done. Clerk to contact him next week. Action: Clerk
Risk Assessment: Deferred to next meeting due to lack of time.
Village Shop: Mr Fox reported the changes on the Management Committee as follows: John Cull and Debra Harvey have resigned. Darrell Penning has taken over as Chairman with Bridgette Crundwell as Vice Chairman and Sue Boyer and Yvette Keauffling have joined the committee. WODC have given a 100% rebate on the rates and the shop has made its first profit of £46.00.
Litter Bin: See Vandalism above.
Kerbing and Pavement in Shipton Road: Clerk has asked County Councillor to take up this situation.
Street Sign and Yew Tree Farm: Awaiting installation.
Village Shop Sign: Awaiting installation.
Post Box: Acknowledgement received from Royal Mail saying they cannot promise to look into this immediately due to financial restraints.
Transport Survey: Results of survey have been sent to ORCC for analysis. There had been a very good response to the survey. There were 150 replies from 250 surveys delivered. Comments included: not enough night buses for young people to get out of the village, requests for more trains to stop at Ascott and information about transport services to be included in the magazine. It was agreed to try and get the information into a format to go into the Grapevine. Action: Clerk
First Responder Scheme: It was agreed to consider a donation to the scheme. Mr Fox to make enquiries about how this can be done and will be discussed at the next meeting. Clerk to write and thank Richard Tracey and David Banham for giving the presentation.
Cornbury Field: Cornbury have agreed to keep a closer eye on the field. The hedge bordering the field is again very overgrown. They are unlikely to cut at this time of year because of the nesting birds. Clerk to request that the hedge is cut hard back in the autumn. Action: Clerk
Overgrown Bank near Signal Box: Network Rail have acknowledged the request for the work to be done.
Freedom of Information Act: A Code of Practice for a complaints procedure has been received from NALC and circulated to all councillors.
a) A letter of thanks had been received from Mrs Pauline Carter for the donation to the Concertante Society.
b) Leafield Parish Council have requested that the Wychwood Taxi Bus should reverse the journey so that it can connect better with other local bus services. They have asked for support for this proposal. After discussion this was agreed. Clerk to contact Leafield PC and County Councillor. Action: Clerk
c) A letter had been received from OCC regarding the review of financially-support bus services and asking for comments on certain routes. It was agreed that the clerk would ask people who use the buses for comments and reply.
d) A letter had been received from Oxfordshire Fire Control Staff voicing their concerns about the regional changes to the fire service. After discussion of the main points it was agreed to write a letter of support. Action: Clerk
e) Oxfordshire Multiple Sclerosis Society has requested a donation. This was refused as all Parish Council funds are committed at present. Clerk to reply. Action: Clerk
f) WODC have written requesting comments on how services are delivered to socially excluded and disadvantaged groups or individuals giving examples of elderly and young people. It was unanimously agreed to reply pointing out that the residents of Langston House are in this group and more facilities and transport needs are required for young people. Action: Clerk
04/0477/P/FP ERECT REAR CONSERVATORY at 2 COOK ROW, HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/0701/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSTION TO REAR AND TWO STOREY EXTENSION TO SIDE TO PROVIDE NEW GARAGE AND UTILITY WITH STUDY ABOVE. INSERTION OF ONE DORMER WINDOW TO FRONT ELEVATION at CROWN COTTAGE, THE GREEN, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/0818/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at 19 CHURCH VIEW, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/0999/F/FP ERECTION OF FIRST FLOOR SIDE EXTENSION TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL LIVING ACCOMMODATION at 46 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
04/1076/P/FP CONSTRUCTION OF ALL WEATHER MENAGE WITH POST AND RAIL FENCING FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY at COLDSTONE HOUSE, SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD New
Audit: The Audit has been completed. Mr Fox to organise a thank you present for Iona Mackenzie for doing the audit free of charge.
Action: Mr Fox
Matters arising from the Audit:
a) Although it is minuted that the clerk shall be responsible for paying her own tax a letter to this effect is required. Action: Clerk
b) Financial regulations require that we should have a purchase/works order for major works carried out. At present we record agreement for such orders in the minutes. The Church gates and kerbing around the green have been the only two major works recently. This will be considered in future for any work over £500.
c) There were minor discrepancies between minuted amounts spent and the cashbook on two items as follows:
· Minutes of 9th June 2003 – Transfer of funds to village shop account £863.40 was entered in minutes correctly but in cash book as £863.00.
· Minutes of 10th November 2003 OCC Grasscutting grant received was £507.13 entered in cash book correctly but in minutes as £507.00.
d) Auditor suggested we should have a petty cash book and this is agreed.
e) Cover slip on paying in book and cheque book should be removed for security, this was agreed.
Budget: Mr Fox circulated a cash forecast report and asked for comments on future expenditure. The two main areas of expenditure are likely to be; a) what support we give to the village shop and b) what provision should be made towards work required on the Risk Assessment. Other areas of expenditure were discussed as follows:
· Grass cutting to be put out to tender. Mr Barnes will also be asked to tender.
· Mr Fox to enquire if the donation to the Grapevine could be taken out of the 137 rule.
· It was suggested that the Parish Council could provide a basketball net on the playing field. Clerk to get quotes. Action: Clerk
It was agreed to carry over future expenditure to the next meeting when the Risk Assessment will be discussed.
Payments: WODC Trade Waste 88.60
Clerks 1/4yr salary 436.80
Clerks Tel. Expenses 7.50
Mr N Briathwaite 210.00
(Payment of Vale Insurance)
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Mr Genc of London Lane requested that the notice board and the new litter bin on the corner of London Lane and High Street be removed. These are situated outside his property and he is concerned that cars stopping on the busy corner to put up notices cause a dangerous hazard. Mr Genc presented a letter to this effect which will be considered at the next meeting.
Mr Darrell Penning asked if the hedge could be cut on opposite the Green on London Lane. This matter was already in discussed in matters arising.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Mrs Byles asked if the matters relating to the playing field and the cricket club raised at the Annual Meeting had been addressed. Mr Pearse said that the state of the grass in the playing field was not satisfactory and the cut grass in lying on the top and not being absorbed as would normally be expected. Chairman to look at the situation and if necessary discuss the situation with Mr Barnes. Action: Chairman
b) Mr Pearce has organised for Lappset who installed the play equipment to come and repair the damage to the swing and seesaw.
c) The Chairman had paid the insurance for the mower and tractor.
d) Mr Fox reported that the road narrows sign between the railway crossing and the river bridge has been damaged. Clerk to inform highways. Action: Clerk
e) Mrs Byles suggested approaching ORCC about grants for the First Responder Scheme. Clerk to enquire. Action: Clerk
f) Mrs Byles asked if the matter of a complaint about the posts on the verge outside her house could be discussed. It was agreed that as Heritage Lane is an unadopted road and owned by the residents this was not a Parish Council matter.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.55 pm. The next meeting will be held on 12th July 2004.