The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor) and 2 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose County Councillor
2. MINUTES The minutes of the meeting held on 12th July 2004 were agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Vandalism: No new cases have been reported to the Parish Council
Risk Assessment: Chairman will speak to Bill Greenaway about the necessary repairs. Clerk reported that the old mower has been removed from the playing field. Tenants of the pound are happy for the shed to be demolished and have asked what the position would be if they wanted to build a new one. Clerk to check with OALC if this could lead to any rights over the land. Five Shilling Common remains a problem as it will difficult be to clear. OALC and environmental health have suggested fencing off. Action: Clerk
Shop: Profit in July was £309 and £577 in August. Operating at just over break even point. Cash reserves are £11,000 and it is intended to reduce this by paying £5,000 off the mortgage. More racking has been added to display new products. A student has been paid to work the manager’s hours over the holidays but she will be leaving in mid September. It is intended to pay two part time staff, one morning and one evening to open and close. More volunteers are needed. There was no response the advert in the Grapevine. Wider advertising will be needed.
Kerbing: County Councillor has been looking into the matter. Work is being done at present on the pavement between Maple Way and Dawls Close.
Yew Tree Farm Sign: Installed and paid for by the residents.
Village Shop Sign: Installed
Post Box: No progress
Transport Survey: Information about services to be produced for Grapevine.
First Responder Scheme: Shipton and Milton are not supporting the scheme financially. Shipton are arranging a public meeting.
Cornbury Field: Two residents have contacted Cornbury estate office to complain about the lack of maintenance of the field opposite the Green.
Bank nr. Signal Box: No progress
Taxi Bus: Clerk has been informed by Leafield Parish Council that the service is being withdrawn at the end of the month.
Playing Field Grass: This is still in good condition. Will be reviewed October/November. Specification needed for tender for village grass cutting. Mr Pearce will draw up specification. Action: Mr Pearce
Play Equipment: Swing and seesaw have now been repaired. Clerk investigating basket ball net. Action: Clerk
Road Sign between Railway and Bridge: This has been repaired.
a) A thank you letter for our donation had been received from West Oxfordshire Citizens Advice Bureau.
b) OALC had requested nominations for President of the Association. No nominations were put forward.
c) The Boundary Committee for England had requested comments on the Periodic Electoral Review of Oxfordshire County Council. No comments were given.
d) Notice was given of the next West Oxfordshire Area Form Meeting.
e) A copy of a letter sent to WODC Planning Dept from N Leadbetter had been received regarding the proposed planning application for 2a Shipton Road.
f) Information had been received regarding the 2003 Licensing Act. This will be passed to the Tiddy Hall Committee. Action; Clerk
g) Cotswolds Area Conservation Board had requested nominations of parish members to conservation boards. No nominations were given.
04/0999/F/FP ERECTION OF FIRST FLOOR SIDE EXTENSION TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL LIVING ACCOMMODATION at 46 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/1076/P/FP CONSTRUCTION OF ALL WEATHER MENAGE WITH POST AND RAIL FENCING FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY at COLDSTONE HOUSE, SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Granted
04/1451/P/FP CONSTRUCTION OF EXTENSION TO EXISTING GARAGE TO FORM INDOOR SWIMMING POOL, CHANGING ROOMS AND PLANT ROOM. At ASCOTT EARL HOUSE, SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
04/1659/P/FP DEMOLISH EXISTING DWELLING. ERECTION OF NINE DWELLINGS WITH ASSOCIATED GARAGES ACCESS AND LANDSCAPING. At 2A SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
Concerns about this application for nine houses were discussed and Mrs M Smith who lives next to the site was asked for her comments and she made the following points:
There is concern about the size of the archway, whether large vehicles could get through and if there is enough turning space. If this is not used for deliveries these vehicles will be parked on the road. The houses are too close to the railway, maintenance of the houses would be a problem as they are on the railway land boundary. Sewerage and flooding are still a problem and there are worries about parking on the narrow part of the road.
Clerk to respond to proposal with letter of objection.
· Mr Fox circulated a cash forecast report to 31st March 2005. Expenditure is on track as planned and at end of year there should be reserves of £7000. Money could now be given to the shop. It was previously held back until expenditure for the Risk Assessment was established. This will be discussed at a future meeting.
· Audit now signed off.
· Clerk had spoken to Roger Shepherd and Alistair Moore about the funding of the Wychwood Boys football team now that the Adult team has disbanded. It is intended that the boys team is affiliated to the sports club and they will pay for the hire of the pitch. Mr Moore had suggested £150 but the adult team paid £200 last year. Clerk to ask sports club to keep Parish Council informed of developments. Action: Clerk
· Payments: Cotswold Line Promotion Group Annual Sub 10.00
Oxfordshire Playing Fields Assoc Annual Sub 25.00
OCC Shop Sign 144.94
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
Mrs Hibbert-Biles asked if a consultation document for the John Radcliffe Hospital had been received and urged the Parish Council to comment about the lack of facilities in the rural areas. She feels there is too much centralisation and Parish Councils should be consulted. The recommendation for Langston House at the moment is closure and Mrs Hibbert-Biles expressed her frustration at this outcome when so much effort has been made to save the home. Arrangements are being made for patients to move to Witney. There are no GP’s on call after 6.30 pm in the area. Patients will have to call NHS direct or use the deputising service where doctors will travel long distances to see emergencies. The Parish Council was urged to write to Cherwell PCT to complain about the situation and it was agreed that we would do so. The public meeting at Chipping Norton objecting to the closure of the hospital was extremely well attended. The PCT have now conceded the X-ray facilities and are looking again at the minor injuries unit and ownership of the building. The ambulance service will be operating from Chipping Norton the end of the month and at two other points in the area. WODC are clamping down on fly posting. This could mean that organisations trying to raise money may not be able to advertise events in this way. British Rail are proposing to use more trains with driver operated doors which will hopefully mean they will be able to make more stops. The public toilets in Witney are open again and there is a charge of 10p.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q. Mr Russell asked if Cornbury were neglecting the field opposite the green because they want to sell it for development
A. Chairman replied that the Parish Council had no reasons to think so
Q. Mr Russell asked about the Dial a Ride bus service
A. This is for disabled people
Q. Mr Russell felt if too many teams played on the football pitch it would not be good for ground
A. There is no reasons to think more teams will be playing than before
Q. Mr Russell asked about needing an entertainment license for the village hall
A. This is a matter for the Tiddy Hall Committee
Q. Mr Russell asked where people would go from Langston House
A. District Councillor explained that a new home in Witney will be ready in March.
Q. Mr Russell asked why flooding occurred near 2A Shipton Road he felt it should flow into the stream opposite.
A. It was explained that the culvert gets blocked.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Mrs Byles asked if anything had been done about moving the 30 mph sign further up London Lane. Clerk to contact highways. Action: Clerk
b) Mrs Pearse had been given some historical documents by the Shirley family about the amenities committee. It was agreed that these would be stored in the committee room cupboard for the time being.
c) Richard Watkinson from Cornbury Park has asked to speak to the Parish Council. It was agreed that Chairman and Mr Pearce will see him on Wednesday 15th September.
d) Mrs Byles asked what had happened to the idea of having direction signs for the shop on the A361 and when the decision had been made to site the new sign in its present position on London Lane. It was explained that the signs on the A361 had not been allowed by WODC and the present site on London Lane pointing down High Street had been agreed by the Parish Council.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.30 pm. The next meeting will be held on 11th October 2004 at 8.00 pm.