The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were 2 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mr R Rose, County Councillor and Mrs H Hibbert-Biles, District Councillor
2. MINUTES There were two amendments to the minutes of the meeting held on 9th May 2005. Item 5 e) should read: If higher standards are required the organisations will cut the grass themselves. Item 7 FINANCE spelled incorrectly. The minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Risk Assessment: Niall Burman has had a meeting with Southern Electric regarding the overhead cables but has not yet reported back.
No progress on Five Shilling Corner. The Chairman is investigating possible income from land filling at the site.
Kerbing and Paving: Clerk has asked the County Councillor to follow up on his previous request for the work.
Post Box: No progress
Railway Bank and Culvert: No progress. Mike Pearce will contact agencies involved directly and try to arrange a meeting.
Speed Signs on London Lane: A reply has been received from Paul Wilson of OCC Environment and Economy. He has examined the accident record over the past 10 years and as there have been no reported incidents they presume there is no need to change the position of the signs. Clerk to reply stressing that this is a blind bend with no pavement and there have been accidents and near misses and to ask for a site meeting. Action: Clerk
Water from Crown Farm: Since Easter there as been little water but it was worse last week and the water was very black and concentrated. It was not reported to Environmental Health. Mrs Byles and Mr Russell will report if it is running for more than 48 hours.
Crown Farm Planning: The Chairman had spoken to G Lowe who felt that agreement was slowly being reached on some of the contentious issues such as the horse walker, parking, access for lorries but other irregularities were still uncertain. He is optimistic that a new application may be submitted soon.
Water at the Top of Heritage Lane: This was due to an overflowing mains sewer. Fred Russell and David Winter had rodded the drain and it appears that WODC have now cleared it.
Footpath Sign: The clerk had written to Dan Weeks at OCC Countryside Services and they have replied to say they do not agree that three signs are needed.
Footpath 11 does not start at the roadside but further into the field as a spur from bridlepath10 and therefore they do not feel it needs to be signposted from the road. Mike Pearce agreed to contact Dan Weeks about the matter
. Action: Mike Pearce
Memorial Plaque: Work outstanding.
Water on Chipping Norton Hill: No progress due to dry conditions.
Overgrown Branches Nr. River Bridge: Mrs Pearse reported that Network Rail have been working in the area and some of the branches have been cut back. It was agreed that the area is still a hazard and that Mr Izod should be asked again the cut them back. Action: Clerk
Insurance: Mr Fox had compared premiums but found that other companies were more expensive. Premium has been paid to Cornhill. Clerk to contact them to add the mower and tractor. Action: Clerk
Car Parking Nr School: Clerk had written requesting re-painting of white lines around the school and other areas in the interests of safety. OCC have replied to say this will be done in the school holidays. Clerk to check on the exact location of the ‘School Keep Clear’ markings. Action: Clerk
Church Fete: This will take place on 9th July on the Green and in the Churchyard.
Chestnut Drive: Clerk had written to WODC asking for the area to be cleaned up and whether something could be built on the play area to stop the vandalism problem. A reply has been received from Andrew Tucker, Development Strategic Director to say that he is talking to various colleagues and will respond as soon as possible.
Pre-school Storage Shed at Pavilion: Clerk has asked Pauline Plant for a drawing of the shed and proposed site to establish if there are any planning applications.
a) A letter has been received from the PCC asking the Parish Council to raise the question of kissing gate at the entrance to the churchyard from Church View. It has been suggested that the gate poses an obstacle to mothers with pushchairs and young children who are obliged to walk along Church View which does not have a footpath and therefore places them at risk from traffic. After discussion it was agreed that it would be very costly to remove the gate especially at the present time as Parish Council funds are already stretched. As the gate has been there for over 100 years it was agreed that more information is required about how many complaints have been made and where this suggestion is coming from. Clerk to reply. Action: Clerk
b) A request for payment of £500 has been received from Gordon Halliday for the Flix in the Stix scheme. Shipton Parish Council has met the full cost and is now asking for donations to be paid. The clerk had spoken to Roger Shepherd who intimated that the money would be paid by Tiddy Hall. Clerk to establish if the money has been paid. It was agreed that the Parish Council would contribute £250 if necessary. Action: Clerk
c) WODC are launching a mobile Skate and Climb play scheme to travel around villages during the summer. It was agreed that the clerk would find out more about it. In particular, how big it is, insurance implications and if there is a charge so that it can be considered further. Action: Clerk
d) The ROSPA report has been received. It highlights several medium and low risk items. Passed to Mike Pearce for action. Action: Mike Pearce
e) Notification of the Transfer of Licence at the Swan has been received. The new licensee is Robert Jenkinson.
f) Shipton Parish Council have written to ask if Ascott would be interested establishing a joint beacon as part of the Trafalgar Day celebrations October. It was agreed not to take part in a joint celebration. The bells will be rung in Ascott for the occasion. Clerk to reply. Action: Clerk
g) Cotswold Conservation Board have sent details of grants for Local Features. They will provide 50% up £20,000. Details passed to Stuart Fox.
04/2165/P/: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Deferred
05/0696/P/FP: ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION at COTTAGE AT CENTURIES HOUSE, LONDON LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Outstanding
05/0700/P/FP: ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at
1 WYCHWOOD COURT, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Granted
05/0670/P/FP: ALTERATIONS TOGETHER WITH SINGLE, FIRST AND TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS INCLUDING INSERTION OF SIX DORMER WINDOWS at WILLOW BROOK, 51 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYWOOD. Refused
Mr Fox reported that the Open Gardens weekend raised £1189 after costs. This will be used to reduce the shop mortgage. This money together with an extra £500 obtained from Leaderplus funding will bring the mortgage down by £7,500 leaving £24,000 to pay over 15 years. The shop is trading strongly and in the 5 months to May turnover was £44,000 compared to £38,000 for the same period last year.
Mr Fox also reported that a new football club is being formed from Wychwood villages and the person organising it has requested that they are not charged for grass cutting next season to help them get established. It was agreed not to charge anything as the grass does not need cutting in the winter. It will be up to the Sports Club to decide if they make a charge for use of the pavilion.
Grass Cutting Grant 844.44
ORCC subscription 20.00
WODC Waste contract 93.18
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
The District Councillor had given the following report to the clerk.
Mrs Hibbert-Biles has been promoted to the Cabinet with responsibility for housing. She will be leaving health at the district but going to Overview and Scrutiny Committee for social and health at County. At the last meeting of the joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee they accepted the NHS proposals for Chipping Norton Hospital for staff and beds. There will be a three month consultation on the Minor Injuries Unit. The Chief Executive of the Ambulance Trust has been informed that the situation in our area is very dire with no eight minute response coverage. Chipping Norton is not working and it has been suggested that stations should not be sold off. He has agreed to come back in three months with figures. She has been in touch with John Clark regarding the drains and has also spoken to Geoff Bonner and Kath James at Environment. They are trying to set up a meeting with all parties.
Crown Farm has not come before the planning committee again but they believe the situation is moving forward.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q. Mr Andrew Jackson reported that the pavement on the corner of Dawls Close going into Shipton Road was in a bad state of repair.
A. Clerk to report to Highways. Action: Clerk
Q. Mr Jackson also wished to bring to the Parish Council’s attention incidents of vandalism in the Dawls Close, Chestnut Drive area of the village. There have been incidents of cars speeding and revving engines, drunkenness and intimidation by a small group of people. These incidents have been reported to the police but they are still going on.
A. The Chairman thanked Mr Jackson for bringing this to the Parish Council’s attention but stressed that the Parish Council can do little about it as it is a police matter. Mr Jackson was urged to keep incident diaries and make sure all incidents are reported to the police on the correct number so that the calls are logged.
Q. Mr Fred Russell asked if the Cricket Club were allowed to use the mower if they cut the grass themselves.
A. They would have to ask permission and a decision would be made at the time.
Mr Fred Russell commented that the kissing gate did cause problems for mothers with pushchairs and said there used to be a footpath running alongside the houses in Church View.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Details of old Morris Dances had been passed to the Parish Council for safe keeping by Don Barnes. Clerk to give him a receipt to say that we are holding them.
b) Mrs Byles asked if the poor repairs to the road outside 5 The Green had been reported. It has been reported, clerk will chase.
c) Mrs Byles suggested that requests for films for the Flix in the Styx evenings should be sought from a wider audience. It was suggested that Mrs Byles should write an article about this in the Grapevine, which she agreed to do.
d) Mr Fox had been approached by a neighbour about the village becoming a conservations area. He had explained that the Parish Council has discussed this many times and what the advantages and disadvantages were. After discussion it was agreed that the village had some protection under the AONB rules and it was decided not to pursue the matter.
e) Mr Pearce had been approached about the problem of cars being parked in The Green for weeks at a time by people who do not live in the village. One person who lives in Milton is doing this regularly. It was agreed that a letter should be sent to him about residents concerns. Mr Pearce to provide name and address.
f) The Chairman announced that Mrs Ismail, Parish Clerk has decided to resign for personal reasons. Various people have been approached but so far no one has come forward as a replacement. It was agreed to advertise in the Grapevine and to contact OALC. Clerk agreed to write a job description and find out the current pay rates. Action: Clerk
g) At the Sports Club AGM it was agreed that Roger Shepherd and John Cull would continue and form a committee with representatives from the groups who use the facilities. Mike Pearce will represent the Parish Council on the Committee.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.50 pm and the next meeting will be held on Monday 11th July 2005.