The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mr R Rose, County Councillor, Mrs H Hibbert-Biles, District Councillor and 3 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
Mrs Ismail introduced Mrs Angela Barns who is considering taking over as Clerk.
1. APOLOGIES There were no apologies for absence
There were two amendments to the minutes of 11th July 2005. Item 6 c) should read: £5.15 not £5.75 and Item 9 should read: original estimate of £7500 not £750. The minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Risk Assessment: The tree work is approximately half way through.
Kerbing and Paving: No progress. The County Councillor is hopeful of more information by the next meeting.
Post Box: Oxford Mail Centre have agreed to replace the box provided there are no service pipes i.e. water, gas, running under the site of the box. They will make investigations and replace the existing box but cannot say when the work will be done.
Railway and Culvert: Mike Pearce reported that as this is connected to the outcome of the planning for 2A Shipton Road he has not taken the matter further. The District Councillor reported that the County Engineer, John Clark had been told by Network Rail that the work would be done and he has requested an on going maintenance programme. She will ask John Clark to write to the Parish Council on progress. John Clark has also contacted Thames Water.
Speed Signs on London Lane: A reply has been received from Paul Wilson at OCC to our request to have this matter re-considered. He suggests that an extra street light would make the lights 183 meters apart and this automatically denotes a road where a 30 mph applies. This option would still mean that the light would cost £1500. The other option is by means of a traffic regulation order but the letter suggests that this needs a long and expensive consultation process. The Clerk has made enquires about moving the signs under the Minor Safety Scheme for which there is limited funding and this has been applied for.
Water at Crown Farm: An Environmental Health Officer has visited Crown Farm and told Chris Badger that the problem with the water is coming from the farm and they have agreed to replace the drain into the road. It is hoped that the problem will then be resolved.
Crown Farm Planning: The Chairman and Mike Pearce had a meeting with J Lowe at WODC planning. He is not happy about horse traffic coming through the village and will bring this up at the planning meeting. He agrees that the horse walker and the horse washing should be moved. He is content to let the number of horses be controlled by the number and size of buildings. Times of operation are to be arranged between planners and Chris Badger. He feels that the drain issue has been resolved. The other units in the yard will have to be dealt with by another application. An enforcement officer has been appointed to look into the extended gallops but this will take a long time. The application should be heard at the October planning meeting.
Memorial Plaque: No progress
Water on Chipping Norton Hill: No progress due to dry conditions.
Overgrown Branches near River Bridge: These have now been cut back by Mr Izod.
Insurance: Written confirmation has now been received regarding the tractor and mower added to the Cornhill Insurance Policy.
White Line Painting: Clerk has chased OCC and they say the work has been scheduled but they are having problems with their contractor.
Chestnut Drive Play Area: The site is now owned by Cottsway Housing. They have written to say that they have visited the site on several occasions and have not found evidence of children congregating or misbehaving. They are looking at the possibility of building on the site. It was agreed that we should write again explaining that the problems occur at night and ask them to speak to the residents and emphasise how the problem would be solved if the site was built on.
Pre-school Shed: A letter was drafted by Roger Shepherd and sent on behalf of the Parish Council to WODC planning department explaining the proposal with a drawing.
Churchyard Kissing Kate: No progress
Flix in the Stix: £250 has been paid to Shipton Parish Council.
Climbing Wall: This had been very successful at the bank holiday Car Boot and BBQ Breakfast. It was felt that it could be better advertised if we use it again.
ROSPA: All items completed except the slide. Action: Mike Pearce
Road Outside 5 The Green: No progress.
Cars Parked around The Green: Since the letter was sent to Mr Hill asking him not to park his cars around The Green he has removed one car but replaced it with another one. It was agreed that no more action could be taken as he is not breaking the law.
Parish Clerk: Mrs Angela Barns is considering taking the position.
Pavilion/Vandalism: After the last meeting in July Roger Shepherd contacted P C Monks and was satisfied that there would be more police presence but there has been more vandalism in recent weeks. It was agreed that the Chief Inspector would be asked to meet with the people in the village directly affected. The District Councillor suggested that we write to Bill Oddy at WODC with a copy to Ian Hudspath. Action: Clerk
a) OCC had written to ask if any street signs need replacing. It was felt that the London Lane sign opposite High Street was the only one. Clerk to inform
b) West Oxfordshire Citizens Advice Bureau had written requesting a donation. It was agreed that this would not be possible this year. Clerk to inform.
c) Various items of correspondence are now coming via email from County and District. The clerk asked whether or not these should be downloaded as some of them are large documents. Hard copies can be requested but some of the information may not be of interest. It was agreed that these emails would be forwarded to councillors and individuals can then decide if they want to receive the information.
04/2165/FP: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Deferred
05/1070/P/FP: ALTERATIONS AND ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION at 16 MAPLE WAY, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Granted
04/1659/P/FP: DEMOLISH EXISTING DWELLING. ERECTION OF 9 DWELLINGS WITH ASSOCIATED GARAGES, ACCESS AND LANDSCAPING at 2A SHIPTON ROAD, ASOCTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
After discussion it was agreed that all previous arguments regarding drainage and sewerage and suitability of this site have not been addressed in the new plan. Chairman to write letter of objection. Outstanding
05/1332/P/FP: ALTERATIONS AND ERECTION OF CONSERVATORY at LAND ADJ 19 CHURCH VIEW, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Granted
05/1607/P/FP: SUBDIVISION OF COTTAGE TO CREATE TWO DWELLINGS. ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION AND ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING ACCESS at COTTAGE AT CENTURIES HOUSE, LONDON LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
a) Mr Fox explained that the funding of the new lighting for Tiddy Hall and claiming the grant had all gone extremely well. WODC had been very helpful and paid the grant very quickly. A temporary loan of £1000 had been taken which was paid back today. We are still awaiting £800 VAT refund and this may be queried as we do not usually claim such large amounts.
b) The Audit is now complete and there were no queries. A report was provided with some suggestions as follows. The council is under no statutory obligation to act upon these suggestions.
Fidelity Guarantee: It was agreed that this was not necessary as no Parish Council officers handle money.
Employment Status: The Council is recommended to review the employment status of the clerk as the council could be held responsible of any back payments of tax and national insurance if the self employed status of the clerk was challenged and found to be incorrect.
Expenditure Powers. It is recommended that the expenditure powers relating to expenditure made are recorded in the minutes, along with the expenditure to demonstrate that the council has properly followed their standing orders and financial regulations. This is a requirement for any payments made under S137 of the Local Government Act 1972
Village Hall Grant from WODC 4594.39
Cornhill Insurance 246.03
Shipton Parish Council (Flix in the Stix) 250.00
Cotswold Line Promotion Group Subscription 10.00
Patrick Edwards Agricultural Contractors (Parts) 64.62
Stoy Hayward (Auditor) 141.00
Lancelyn Theatre Supplies (Tiddy Hall Lighting) 5742.99
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
Mr Rose reported that the county council have made the parking free at the Thornhill and Water Eaton park and ride and it is hoped that the city council will follow this example. There are serious concerns about the new arrangements for control and command of the fire service for the area. Decisions have not yet been made about the South East and London and staff are looking for jobs elsewhere leading to fears that it will be difficult to recruit staff in the future when the decisions have been made.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
Mrs Hibbert-Biles had spent a lot of time on the Supporting People Committee. There is likely to be a 7% cut in the grant and the committee is working hard to retain services. The Affordable Rural Housing Committee is looking at how access to affordable housing can be improved. There are proposed changes to planning rules including work on buildings having to start within three years rather than five years. Work is ongoing to implement green composting and open days are planned. The Northern Sub Committee of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee have passed the PCT plans for Chipping Norton Hospital.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q. Darrell Penning asked who was responsible for repairing the signpost damaged in a recent accident near the railway crossing.
A. The accident was reported to OCC highways and the sign has been taken away for repair.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) The planning application for a waste disposal site by Hickman Brothers in Fulbrook was discussed briefly. The District councillor said that WODC had been asked to comment but she had not been at the planning meeting due to illness but there had been a lot of objections. It will now go forward to County Planning.
b) Mrs Biles proposed that Mr Fred Russell should be formally thanked for his work tidying up the footpath on London Lane. Fred was duly thanked by the Chairman.
c) Mrs Biles suggested that it might be useful to have a sign to indicate the bend after the railway crossing as there have been several accidents there recently. It was agreed that this was not necessary as motorists are already in a 30mph limit and approaching a railway crossing and so should be driving with care at that point.
d) The success of the village shop was discussed and it will be entering the Village Shop of the Year competition run by ORCC. The District Councillor suggested that Bill Heinie of Oxford Radio should be kept informed of the shops achievements, since he opened the shop, and he may provide some free publicity on his radio show. Stuart Fox agreed to contact him. It was agreed that a monthly shop report by Stuart Fox would be placed back on the agenda under Matters Arising.
Action: Stuart Fox
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.25 pm and the next meeting will be held on Monday 10th October at 8.00 pm.