Councillors Present were: Mr David Wilkinson, Mr Stuart Fox, Mrs Elaine Byles, Mrs Bridgette Crundwell and Ms Sally Franks. District Councillor: Mrs Hilary Hibbert-Biles
Members of the Public: Mr F Russell, Miss S Tustian, Mrs W Pearse and Mrs M Smith.
Parish Clerk: Mrs A Barnes
Apologies received from Mr Rodney Rose, County Councillor.
The Minutes from the July Parish Council meeting were agreed, signed, dated and numbered.
3. MATTERS ARISING:
Post Box: Clerk had spoken with Matthew Large, Collection Hub Manager for North Oxfordshire, who advised the Parish Council to write with a letter of complaint which he could then take to his superiors. Despite a strong letter having been sent there had still been no response. Clerk to pass Matthew Large’s details including mobile telephone number to Chairman.
Cottsway/Affordable Housing: It was reported that the Housing Needs Survey, which was hand delivered to every parishioner received approximately 40% being completed and returned. It was noted that there were 22% not in favour, 54% in favour and 25% unsure (these percentages are approximate). It was therefore decided that the Clerk write to James Alcock inviting him to attend the October meeting to discuss this further.
O.C.C. Highways: After much discussion it was decided not to persue the VAS (Vehicle Activated Sign) any further, this being due to cost and there being a high probability of no partial funding being availble. However the Clerk to write to Paul Wilson at Highways and investigate the possiblity of Gates on the entrance to the Village. Clerk to request cost and practicalities of this.
Railway & Culvert: Ongoing.
Pavilion/Sports Club: Nothing further to report, albeit several members of the Council attended the AGM in August.
Village Shop: Stuart Fox reported that turnover continued to increase, with the 8 months to August seeing a 20% increase. It was also reported that the Shop will be stocking new lines, which will include ready meals.
Parish Conservation Plan/ The Pound: Stuart Fox reported that he had met with a representative from CPRE who was very enthusiastic and confirmed that he would put a recommendation in to TOE for the funding to be confirmed. The other source of funding, which is hoped to be AONB were meeting today and decision would be reached within 2 weeks.
It was also reported that there is a BT pole in the middle of the Pound which ideally should be moved before the project gets underway. BT will need to be approached when we have a timescale of works.
It was confirmed that the Stones would be placed in the Pound, with an explanation of their history to the Village. Stuart Fox had spoken with Mr and Mrs Burleigh, who currently rent the Pound from the Parish Council and confirmed that they were more than happy to relinquish their interest.
Clerk to contact Richard Halliwell or his successor to request advice on the moving of the stones and the funding of moving them. Also request advice on how to display them, health & safety issues, if any and invite Mr Halliwell or his successor to visit the Pound. Clerk also to ask the name of the Publication which is due to be released in October, which is going to include details of the Stones.
RoSPA: It was reported that the works on the Playing Area of the Playing Field were now complete, albeit a piece of board does need replacing in the far right corner. Clerk to ask Mr Shane Barnes to complete this and to pass on the Councils thanks and appreciation for a job well done.
5 Shilling Corner: Ongoing, nothing further to report.
Ascott Music Festival: Despite this event having to be cancelled due to poor weather conditions, it was reported that the shop did benefit from visitors, contractors etc. in the two days leading up to the Festival.
The Swan Public House: It was reported that there had been yet more trouble at the weekend and again the Police and an Ambulance had to be called to attend the new Barman. It was also reported that the Licence had been granted with restrictions and conditions. Hilary Hibbert-Biles advised the Parish Council to ensure that the conditions were being adhered to because if they were not then the Public House were in breach of their Licence. The Clerk to write to the Licencing Team and request who now owns the Swan Public House.
Risk Assessment: This needs to be refreshed as some time has now passed since the last one. Stuart Fox requested a small working party to walk around the Village and do some assessments. Councillors confirmed they would all take part.
4. CORRESPONDENCE: A letter had been received from WODC for the Village Shop to take part in Rural Retailer of Year – this was passed to Stuart Fox for on behalf of the shop.
A letter had been received from Thames Valley Police inviting the Parish Council to fund a PCSO, after discussion this was decided against as neither Shipton-under-Wychwood nor Milton-under-Wychwood were taking part.
An email received from Keith Butler at WODC with regards to Playground Equipment Briefing Note. Clerk to forward this email and attachment on.
06/0424/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM REDUNDANT BARN TO HAIRDRESSING SALON (Retrospective) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/0791/P/FP INSTALLATION OF ROOF LIGHTS at WINDRUSH VALLEY SCHOOL ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
06/0875/P/FP CONVERSION OF BARNS TO STORAGE/DISTRIBUTION USE. PROVISION OF PARKING & LOADING AREA at COLLEGE FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1060/P/PO ERECTION OF ONE DWELLING & ACCESS AT THE REAR OF 31 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1138/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION at 31 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1197/P/FP ERECTION OF DETACHED GARDEN ROOM/STORAGE at 35 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1348/P/FP ERECTION OF CONSERVATORY & FIRST FLOOR REAR EXTENSION. CONVERSION OF EXISTING CAR PORT & STORE TO PROVIDE ENTRANCE HALL, TOILET & STUDY at WELL COTTAGE, 38 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
06/1555/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY AND TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS WITH NEW THREE BAY GARAGE at 1 PRIORY LANE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
Stuart Fox reported that the Audit was now complete and there were no problems. He had received notification that there were new regulations for 2006 and once these had been received he would advise the Council. It was reported that the Parish Council’s bank balance currently stood at £2980 and that the Council would need to start thinking about next years precept figure.
ORCC Subscription (Section 137 Expenditure) 20.00
Hickman Bros. – Play Bark replacement 1596.25
Hickman Bros. 175.18*
Stoye Hayward Auditors 141.00
Shane Barnes 150.00
*This amount relates to an additional charge by Hickman Bros. as the Parish Council only needed 28 bags of Play Bark, but Hickman Bros. could only supply in a lot of 30 and it was not until delivery that they advised there would be an additional charge for this.
7. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR:
No Report, Apologies received.
8. REPORT FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLOR:
Mrs Hilary Hibber-Biles reported that there were Sports & Arts Awards available, for which grants can be applied for. WODC would be holding a Well Weekend on 23rd and 24th September, passes would be needed to attend and these were available from WODC.
It was reported that WODC would be going out for tender for the New Waste System, this is to include weekly collections for residual food waste and recycling and fortnightly for green waste.
Mrs Hibbert-Biles reported that a new Chief Executive is to be elected within the next few days. The Supporting People Grant had been allocated at £19million for Oxfordshire, this was a cut of 2%. It was reported that WODC had built 160 affordable houses in 2005//2006.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Miss Tustian brought up the ongoing problem of speeding through the Village from the Shipton Road end of the Village. Miss Tustian was rather cross that when she attended the June Meeting she had received a phone call from PC Monk who promised he was going to address this problem, to date Miss Tustian has heard nothing.
A: Clerk to write to Bill Oddy, the Community Safety Officer outlining the above ongoing problem which has now become a safety problem and coupled with anti-social behaviour request that he take this forward. Clerk to invite Mr. Bill Oddy to the October meeting, or if unavailable a future meeting.
Q: Miss Tustian asked were WODC going to “Chip” the waste bins?
A: Mrs Hibbert-Biles replied that she had not heard this was the case.
Q: Mrs Baker asked if the Parish Council would consider getting The Swan Public House and The Windrush School made listed buildings?
A: The Parish Council thought this would be worth investigating. The Clerk to write to Rob Parkinson, Chief Conservation Officer at WODC and enquire.
Q: Wendy Pearse asked did the Parish Council know where the Role of Honour for the First World War was. This used to be hung in the original Tiddy Hall and asked if it could be hung in the Church?
A: Clerk to write to Roland Stedeford and ask if this was possible, once we had located its whereabouts.
Stuart Fox asked did anyone know who owned the Wooden Bridge at the back of The Mill as this was in need of some repair. Clerk to contact Nigel Braithwaite and enquire.
David Wilkinson had been approached by Mr. & Mrs. Badger of Crown Farm with regards to his access to and from Crown Farm and his increasing difficulties in getting his tractors and machinery around the Green. David advised Mr. Badger to contact Mr Alan Wood, the HeadTeacher of the School.
The Chairman closed the Meeting at 10.10pm and confirmed the date for the next meeting Monday 9th October, 2006 at 8.00pm in The Tiddy Hall.