Councillors Present were:
Mr David Wilkinson
Mr Stuart Fox
Mrs Elaine Byles
Mrs Bridgette Crundwell
Ms Sally Franks
District Councillor: Mrs Hilary Biles
Members of the Public:
Miss S Tustian
Parish Clerk: Mrs A Barnes
Received from County Councillor Mr Rodney Rose.
There were three amendments to the October minutes, the first being under Matters Arising O.C.C. Highways in the second paragraph where the minutes state “it was not felt that the installation of white gates would not necessarily reduce the speeding problems and the decision to shelve this matter was made”. This should read “it was felt that the installation of white gates would not necessarily reduce the speeding problems and the decision to shelve this matter was made”. The second amendment was also under Matters Arising where the minutes state the sub-heading “Parish Conservation Plan”. This should read “Cotswold Conservation Plan”. The third amendment was under 5a Planning Referrals Crown Farm – where the minutes state “PLEASE NOTE: It has been reported to the Parish Council the access and parking problems around the Village Green and subsequent difficulties for the owner of Crown Farm accessing his property. This should read “PLEASE NOTE: It has been reported to the Parish Council the access and parking problems around the Village Green and subsequent difficulties for the Tenant of Crown Farm accessing his property.
3. MATTERS ARISING:
Post Box: The Chairman reported that he had spoken to Royal Mail, but there was still no progress. It was decided that this matter be removed from Matters Arising, but to re-visit in 6 months to assess any change.
Cottsway / Affordable Housing: James Alcock had written to the Clerk, who in turn notified Councillors, to advise that both WODC and Cottsway had made a decision not to consider an Affordable Housing Scheme in Ascott-under-Wychwood at the current time. However a larger development was likely at Milton-under-Wychwood and it might be possible to meet Ascott-under-Wychwood’s housing needs there. After the Parish Council expressed its disappointment at this decision Hilary Biles offered to look into the decision and report back.
Action District Councillor
O.C.C. Highways: The Clerk reported that the manhole cover on the corner of the Green, opposite the School had been made loose again and that this had been reported to Highways. Council advised that this had now been repaired for a third time.
It was reported that the road surface on the Chipping Norton hill was in poor repair, there being large cracks and holes in the surface, which would appear to be a result of the hot Summer. Clerk to request Highways look at this.
Railway & Culvert: Ongoing
Pavilion/Sports Club: Roger Shepherd reported that the Pavilion still had major problems with the heating system. Quotes had been received to plumb new pipes through the ceiling, but using the existing boiler. Roger reported that the cheapest quotation received was in excess of £3000 and although the Pavilion was now in a stronger financial position, they did not want to use the majority of its funds to action this. Roger reported that he had received a grant application form for completion, which hopefully would part fund this repair. It was reported that the “Fun Run” had raised approximately £1100
The question was asked that as the Parish Council actually own the Pavilion, would it not be better for them to sanction the works and then the VAT claimed back. Stuart Fox advised that he would look into this and advise the best way forward, as would Roger.
It was reported that the agreement with the Windrush School was working well.
Village Shop: It was reported that the freezer, which had been obtained free of charge had now been installed and a new range of products including frozen ready meals were available. Stuart Fox advised that a further £2000 was going to be paid off of the mortgage. The mortgage will then be £21,000.
Cotswold Conservation Plan and O.C.C. Learning and Culture Bronze Barrow & Stones: It was reported that no decision with regards to funding had been reached and that the matter is still ongoing with the main problem being the Birch tree on the Pound. Stuart Fox reported that he had been advised that any funding being made available for the re-building of the stone wall may well be subject to this tree being removed as if it was not it could possibly disturb any new wall that was built. A further meeting was due to be held at the end of November.
With regards to the Stones – funding to re-site the stones in the Pound was still ongoing and Stuart had obtained information on a grant “Awards for All”. This is a grant that is keen on promoting open space, open access etc. It was reported that Stuart was looking at the grant with a view to funding the whole project of developing the Pound. A further problem is that there is a BT Pole right in the middle of the Pound. Clerk to write/contact BT and request this be moved.
5 Shilling Corner: Nigel Braithwaite had written to both the Clerk and to Stuart Fox, a copy of his letter was circulated to all councillors and it was agreed that this be discussed under matters arising at the December meeting, after all had had chance to digest its contents.
The Swan Public House: It was reported that “good reviews” and what a “transformation” had been received since the placement of Dale Ganter, the new manager of The Swan Public House.
Risk Assessment: Ongoing
Crown Farm: It was reported, further to the problems reported by the Tenant leaving and accessing his property, and that of equestrian vehicles still accessing Crown Farm through the Village, that this matter is still ongoing and the Clerk was advised to write to Andrew Tucker at WODC and ask for advice on how the Parish Council report a breach of planning i.e. equestrian vehicles not using the access on the top road. Clerk to also request a copy of the conditions applied to this planning application which were sent to the Tenant of Crown Farm.
Following on from the Tenant speaking with the Chairman with regards to the parking around the Green the Parish Council were advised that the Tenant would need to contact the Police on this issue.
19 Church View: Plans for this were circulated amongst the Councillors with particular note to the steps at the front of the property being in question. It was reported at the last meeting that the steps appeared to be too close to the road. Clerk was advised to contact Tony Clark of O.C.C. Highways and ask him to visit the site for clarification.
2a Shipton Road: The appeal hearing for this planning application is due to take place on Tuesday 14th November. The Chairman reported that he was going to attend, but did express his disappointment at not having been told that this hearing may be heard over 2 days.
Listed Buildings: Ongoing
NALC (National Association of Local Councils): After discussion and some minor alterations it was agreed that the NALC be adopted.
The Clerk reported a letter had been received from Reeves Memorial with regards to the erection of a headstone. This was passed on to Tim Lyon care of the Church, Ascott-under-Wychwood.
A letter had been received from Citizens Advice Bureau thanking the Parish Council for their donation. A letter had also been received from the Wychwood Project thanking the Parish Council for their donation.
A letter had been received from Nigel Braithwaite with regards to 5 Shilling Corner (see Matters Arising).
06/0424/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM REDUNDANT BARN TO HAIRDRESSING SALON (Retrospective) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1555/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS WITH NEW 3 BAY GARAGE at 1 PRIORY LANE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1728/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STORE REAR EXTENSION AND INSERTION OF ROOFLIGHT TO REAR ROOF SLOPE at D’OYLEY HOUSE, 20 HIGH STREET ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
06/1905/P/FP ERECTION OF REPLACEMENT OUTBUILDING (RETROSPECTIVE PLANNING APPLICATION) at 35 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
This retrospective planning application was discussed at length, the majority of Councillors had no objections, but the minority held strong objections. Please note that the District Councillor did not comment on this application.
06/1941/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE EXTENSION at 3 DAWLS CLOSE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT
Grasscutting – S. Barnes £2700.00
Clerks quarterly salary £459.00
Clerks quarterly expenses £62.72
Inland Revenue £129.45
Cotswold Line Promotion Group Subscription (Section 137 Expenditure) £10.00
The draft budget was circulated and Stuart Fox asked all Councillors to consider the content with a view to setting the precept for 2007. As the precept stood at present with the everyday expenditure and providing for no unforeseen(s) it was £7459 and with this in mind and last year’s precept being £8600 which includes carry forward provisions for the Pavilion and the Pound it was felt that the balance may not be sufficient should there be a need for emergency funding of some kind.
Stuart Fox asked all Councillors to consider any other expenditure that the Parish Council may need to fund or indeed would wish to fund. Some considerations should include the Horse Chestnut tree on the Village Green and possibly some trees on the playing field.
It was also reported tenders for the grasscutting were due. Stuart confirmed that he would approach 3 companies for quotations.
Action Stuart Fox
7. REPORT FROM COUNTY COUNCILLOR
Apologies received, no report.
8. REPORT FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Hilary Biles reported on Chipping Norton Hospital, which served the surrounding community, that she had been forced to write to the Primary Care Trust with regards to the closure of some 4 day clinics. As a result of which these had been re-opened, however she did suggest that the Parish Council write to the Primary Care Trust emphasising the local needs for this hospital and day clinics attached to it.
Hilary Biles reported that a new Chief Executive had been appointed. Mr Neudegg commences on 1st January 2007.
Hilary Biles advised the Parish Council to write to the Environment Agency (Reading) and Thames Water with regards to a case she had been involved with in Ascott-under-Wychwood whereby sewage was coming up through the floor of the house. Clerk to write to both Thames Water and the Environment Agency.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q: Siobahn Tustian expressed extreme concerns about speeding motorists, mainly youths, through the Village via Shipton Road on several occasions.
A: The Chairman asked Roger Shepherd to take this information to the next NAG meeting which is due to be held on 29th November, 2006.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Elaine Byles asked about the re-instatement of the grass verge around the Green. Due to the lateness of the hour it was agreed that this be put into Matters Arising for discussion at the December meeting.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.30pm and confirmed the next meeting will be held on Monday 11th December at 8.00pm in the Tiddy Hall Room.