Councillors Present were: Mr David Wilkinson
Mr Stuart Fox
Mrs Elaine Byles
Mrs Bridgette Crundwell
Ms Sally Franks
Parish Clerk: Mrs Angela Barnes
Members of the Public: Mr Fred Russell, Miss Siobhan Tustian
Apologies were received from Rodney Rose, County Councillor and Hilary Hibbert-Biles District Councillor
The Minutes of the May meeting were agreed, signed, dated and filed.
3 MATTERS ARISING:
Cottsway/Affordable Housing – Clerk had written to James Alcock at ORCC again, copying the District Councillor, Hilary Biles. No response from James Alcock, but an “out of office” response due to annual leave from Hilary Biles. Clerk to chase
OCC Highways – The Parish Councillors and Rodney Rose, County Councillor met Paul Wilson from OCC Highways on the Village Green on Friday 8th June to discuss the numerous highway issues that were outstanding within the Village.
· Reinstatement of the grass verge around the Green; it was reported that there was no reason why this could not be reinstated and Paul Wilson confirmed he would look into the costings etc. etc. and report back to the Parish Council.
· Manhole Cover on the Green; it was reported that this would be replaced with a more robust and suitable cover.
· Highways Sign on the Green; it was reported that this would be replaced
· Highways Sign on the bottom of Chipping Norton Hill – Paul Wilson confirmed that he would arrange for this sign to be made secure.
· Road Surface on Chipping Norton Hill – it was confirmed that a Job No. had been allocated and so works for this should be carried out soon
· High Street (last eighth of High Street); Paul Wilson reported that he felt this was an issue for WODC and supplied the Councillors with contact details for the Clerk to write to – David to supply Clerk with information.
Action David Wilkinson/Clerk
· Railway & Culvert; on inspection Paul Wilson advised the that reason for the flooding is the field to the left (as you leave Ascott via the Chipping Norton Hill) whose boundary leads on to the road. He confirmed that this culvert needs cleaning out and the responsibility does lie with the landowner – Cornbury Estate. Clerk to contact Belinda Young, of Savills who coordinates the land management for Cornbury and request this be done as soon as possible
Pavilion/Sports Club – Nothing to report.
Village Shop – It was reported that the Village Shop had now successfully employed a 4th member of staff. The Shop had also been able to reduce its mortgage by £2,000, the mortgage balance now at £16,795
Parish Conservation Plan – Stuart Fox reported that work on the Wall around the Pound had been started, but that progress was rather slow. It was reported that the placing/re-siting of the stones would need to be bedded in concrete by at least one quarter of their height. It was proving somewhat difficult to obtain exact sizes of the Stones, which is needed in order to coordinate their placement and the available space within the Pound.
After discussion about the Electricity Pole in the middle of the Pound, it was decided that the Clerk should write to the electricity company and insist the pole be removed and replaced elsewhere by the end of July at the very latest. Clerk to also investigate the inclusion of “Wayleaves” and include in the letter.
Schemes to accommodate the Freedom of Information Act – Clerk investigating.
5 Shilling Corner – After much discussion about Humberts’ valuation of 5 Shilling Corner it was decided that the Clerk should contact Mr Baddeley again and advise that the Parish Council thought the valuation was very low. On inspection of old maps and correspondence it was apparent that “5 Shilling Quarries” had not been included within the valuation, which would indicate to the reason why the valuation was low. Clerk to speak with Mr Baddeley and discuss the possibility of him re-visiting the site with a member of the Parish Council.
2a Shipton Road – Ongoing.
Crown Farm; The Village Green Parking – See OCC Highways
RoSPA – Clerk confirmed that Mark Chapman of Lapsett had visited the site (Playing Field) and would be organising the repairs/appropriate works on the play equipment as per the RoSPA report. Clerk to chase
14 High Street – Ongoing
Hedgerow Chipping Norton Hill – Clerk had chased Belinda Young at Savills – unfortunately she had not had chance to visit Ascott yet, but as soon as she had she would report back. Clerk to chase again and to also write on three other issues:
· Oxfordshire County Council Highways had advised that the flooding on Chipping Norton Hill was due to a blocked culvert from the field, whose boundary met at the culvert and the responsiblity of which was the landowner – Cornbury Estate.
· It was reported that there is a tree on this land which is falling over on to the road – very dangerous.
· The field which runs behind High Street – the hedgerow is extremely overgrown and virtually impossible to pass.
Thames Valley Policy – PCSO’s – Clerk had written to John Cull, Neighbourhood Action Group asking if he would speak with the Wychwood PCSO’s and invite them to attend the June meeting so that they could be introduced to the Parish Council. Officer Colin James wrote to the Clerk advising that unfortunately Kirstyn Tyrer the new PCSO would be on a course all week, however he would check their duties and try to arrange to attend the July meeting.
A copy of a letter had been received from Mr R Burleigh, Vine House, Ascott-under-Wychwood which he had sent to the new owner of the Swan Public House, Mr Richard Lait. The letter was read before the Parish Council and the members of the public. After discussion the Clerk was asked to write to Mr. Lait and invite him to the July meeting with a view to being introduced to the Parish Council and to share any future plans for the Swan.
Letter received from Keith Butler, WODC enclosing a Registration of Members’ Interests for each Parish Councillor. These had been circulated for completion and then return to WODC.
Letter received from the Standards Board for England enclosing the Code of Conduct Guide for Members – one for each Councillor, together with a pocket guide.
07/0098/P/S73 NON-COMPLIANCE OF CONDITION to PLANNING APPLICATION 04/2165/P/FP – REQUESTING OCCASIONAL USE OF VILLAGE ACCESS FOR HORSE BOXES, LORRIES AND HORSE TRAILERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE EQUESTRIAN USE OF LAND at CROWN FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/0223/P/FP CHANGE OF USE FROM FARM WORKSHOP TO METAL ART STUDIO (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/0614/P/FP ALTERATIONS TO INCLUDE NEW PITCHED ROOF OVER GARAGE, INCREASED ROOF PITCH OVER DWELLING AND CONVERSION OF LOFT. INSERTION OF DORMER WINDOWS at BAY TREE COTTAGE, THE GREEN, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/0876/P/LB RE-ROOFING OF BARN WITH ARTIFICIAL STONE SLATES TO WEST SLOPE AND STONESFIELD SLATES TO EAST SLOPE at MANOR FARM ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/0930/P/FP ALTERATIONS TO INCLUDE NEW PITCHED ROOF OVER GARAGE, INCREASED ROOF PITCH OVER DWELLING AND CONVERSION OF LOFT. INSERTION OF DORMER WINDOWS at BAY TRE COTTAGE, THE GREEN, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/0969/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE AND TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS WITH NEW THREE BAY GARAGE (to allow the garage wing to be raised to form accommodation in the attic and relocate the porch) at 1 PRIORY LANE, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
WODC Trade Waste Collections Cheque No. 100601 £113.04
Spoilt Cheque destroyed Cheque No. 100602 –
Humbert Valuation Cheque No. 100603 £58.75
Stuart Fox advised the Meeting that the audit was now complete.
7. COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Siobhan Tustian asked about the outcome of 2A Shipton Road
A: Chairman answered that the Appeal had been turned down, but this item would be kept on the Agenda for the timebeing.
Q: Siobhan Tustian asked had anybody had problems with their recyling? She had experienced a large amount of debris left on the path and roadway after collections.
A: The Councillors answered they had not noticed any problems, but would keep a watchful eye on this.
Q: Siobhan Tustian asked about the future of the Swan Public House and the use of an alternative meeting point for the Post Office?
A: Chairman answered that he would enquire into this and after discussion suggested sites were Tiddy Hall, the Village Shop, the Church or perhaps Crown Farm.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Elaine Byles asked the Councillors to refer to the second letter received from the Standards Board for England where it referred to “members with a prejudicial interest having the same rights as members of the public”. After discussion it was proposed and seconded that the following be adopted by the Parish Council at this, the June meeting:
“Paragraph 12(2) which is not mandatory for parishes, which gives members with a prejudicial interest the same rights as members of the public to speak to a meeting on the issue and then leave fore the main discussion and vote.
Elaine Byles reported to the Meeting that someone had approached her with regards to the grass on the bottom of the Playing Field by the play equipment. She was asked if this could be cut the same amount of times as the top of the field. Clerk to speak with Shane Barnes and ask for this to be done.
Chairman closed the meeting at 9.45pm and confirmed the next meeting would be Monday 9th July 2007.