Parish Councillors Present:
West Oxfordshire District Council:
Hilary Hibbert-Biles, District Councillor
Ascott Recovery Committee (ARC):
Chipping Norton Police:
PC Colin James
PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer
Members of the Public:
Before the Meeting commenced it was proposed by Elaine Byles that Stuart Fox be elected as Acting Chairman, this was seconded by Bridgette Crundwell. Stuart Fox then said a few words to the meeting explaining that unfortunately, after much discussion, Councillor David Wilkinson had decided to stand down both as Chairman and Councillor of the Parish Council. Stuart expressed the regret and disappointment at Dave’s decision especially as he had been such an asset to the Parish Council in the past and whom would be sorely missed. Stuart Fox also reported that sadly Councillor Sally Franks had decided to step down – unfortunately the Parish Council had been reported to the Standards Board for inappropriate conduct by a member of the public. The Standards Board have now confirmed that the Parish Council did not conduct themselves inappropriately. This decision was welcomed by all, however Councillor Sally Franks felt that she could not continue if she did not have the support of the Village. The Clerk has reported both resignations to West Oxfordshire District Council, who have advised the Parish Council to display the appropriate Notice, provided by WODC, notifying the Village of the vacancies. If nobody had applied to join the Parish Council by Tuesday 19th February, 2008, the Parish Council can then co-opt further members.
Received from County Councillor Rodney Rose, who was attending Hailey’s Parish Council meeting.
The January minutes had one amendment, this being under Matters Arising, Flooding where the word “site” should read “sight”. The January minutes, together with the January Extraordinary minutes were then agreed, dated, signed and filed.
Before commencing on Matters Arising, Stuart Fox invited PC Colin James and PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer to address the meeting. PCSO Tyrer advised the meeting that there were three main issues that would be targeted, these being (1) Speeding, (2) Anti-Social Behaviour and (3) Parking. PCSO Tyrer also reported that she had attended Ascott on consecutive days and times to address the problem of the parking around the Village Green. She had moved several vehicles on and reported that this would be done, hopefully, on a regular basis. Stuart Fox thanked PC Colin James and PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer for attending the meeting.
3 MATTERS ARISING:
OCC Highways – Clerk reported that OCC Highways had confirmed that a new sign would be erected at the bottom of Chipping Norton hill. The potholes throughout the Village, in particular along High Street and London Lane would be addressed as soon as the Contractors were in the area as would the road surface on Chipping Norton hill.
Clerk also reported that after having spoken with OCC Highways about the reinstatement of the grass verge adjacent to the Village Green – it was confirmed that the white lines which had been left in the middle of the road would be removed. Clerk to investigate if the current posts could be replaced with the smaller posts, similar to the ones used around Leafield Village Green and if the one side of the Village Green could have these posts erected also to ensure the Green was not damaged in the future by vehicles driving over the grass.
Pavilion/Sports Club – Ongoing.
Village Shop – Stuart Fox reported that the Shop had featured on National Television for 15 seconds after becoming runners up in the National Retail Shop of the Year Award.
Parish Conservation Plan – Stuart Fox reported that the Stones would be delivered on 23rd February and that he had managed to extend the Lottery Grant monies from March to June. Stuart reported that he had received back some potential designs for the display boards that would be erected in the Pound – the two designs were approved.
5 Shilling Quarries – Ongoing – Clerk to speak with Keith Dalton at WODC.
2a Shipton Road – Ongong.
Cornbury Estate – Stuart Fox reported that the Parish Council had attended the Development Meeting at Cornbury Park where they were shown plans of land belonging to Cornbury which had been identified for possible infill sites for housing and social housing. There were two sites that had potentially been identified in Ascott – London Lane and High Street. Stuart reported that Lord Rotherwick spoke of his concerns about the River and the importance of all parties putting pressure on the Environment Agency. Lord Rotherwick also advised that once his works on the river and water courses were complete he could possibly lend his equipment to assist other ripearian owners also. He also confirmed that the three trusts had now been incorporated as one trust and would be managed under his land management agent – Bidwells.
Post Office – Roger Shepherd reported the Tiddy Hall would pay the Post Office fee.
Risk Assessment – Ongoing
RoSPA Report – See Saw had now been repaired. Unfortunately Kevin Joyce of Lappset had not sought approval that this unit would be replaced free of charge before advising the Clerk of this. However the repair works on the Swing Seats should hopefully be carried out free of charge.
Flooding – Stuart Fox reported that he had contacted Shipton-under-Wychwood Parish Council to arrange a meeting for both councils to attend and compare progress. Shipton PC advised as soon as they had collated more information they would be happy to do this. Clerk has written to town and parish councils at Moreton-in-Marsh, Bledington, Oddington, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Milton-under-Wychwood and Kingham asking for their assistance in an early warning system should flooding occur. So far two replies have been received back. Stuat reported that he contacted Network Rail and had spoken with one of the Engineers who had attended Ascott, who confirmed the Bridge remained ok with no structural damage. Network Rail were investigating the debris from the River and the possiblilty of re-designing the path beneath for a better flow.
Clerk had received a telephone call from Miss Siobhan Tustain with regards to the December minutes on the website not showing the figures that the Parish Council had agreed to set aside for both remedial and preventative works necessary following the flooding. Clerk wrote back to Miss Tustain enclosing a copy of the Extraordinary Minutes noting this, explaining that these had been missed off when the December minutes were posted on the website and confirming that they were now also on the website.
Clerk had received a telephone call from Mr Bolton at Pudlicote Farm in response to her letter. Mr Bolton advised the Clerk that the large Willow Tree had now been removed from the River and asked that the Parish Council be notified of this.
Elaine Byles reported that she had received an Email from Debra Cull with regards to the Church Fete. This year’s Fete is schedule for Saturday 7th June.
07/1924/P/FP ERECTION OF DETACHED DWELLING at LAND ADJACENT TO 14 HIGH STREET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
07/2178/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY LINK EXTENSION, RE-ROOFING OF OUTBUILDING at HILL COTTAGE, 48 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
07/2237/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO GARDEN ROOM at 35 HIGH STRET, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD.
08/0132/P/FP ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION & CONVERSION OF GARAGE TO OFFICE at 47 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
08/0149/P/FP REMOVAL OF EXISTING CHIMNEY STACK (Retrospective) at WINDRUSH VALLEY SCHOOL, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
08/0169/P/FP ERECTION OF TWO STOREY SIDE EXTENSION & PORCH at 18 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
6. FINANCIAL REPORT:
Payments In £
Payments Out £
Shane Barnes £550.00 (First stage of landscaping the Pound) Cheque No. 100628
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT:
In Rodney Rose’s absence the Clerk reported on his behalf; Wayne Barker is putting the Highways Report together. Council Tax will be decided at full council on Tuesday 12th February – there will be an increase of 3.875%.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT:
Hilary Hibbert-Biles reported that OCC had contacted WODC Engineers on 7th February to discuss schemes to fund areas of flooding. Hilary reported that the pipe that runs through Gypsy Lane was still being investigated. Hilary also reported that a letter was scheduled to go out to all ripearian owners notifying them of their responsiblities in keeping ditches, water courses etc clear. Hilary reported on the Yew Tree Farm development – Lawrence King would be drawing a scheme, but this was now pending as a resident was taking legal advice. The report with regards to flooding from WODC had not yet been completed as there were only 2 people writing the reports.
Hilary reported on 2A Shipton Road that Building Control would be looking at bore hole readings. Hilary also reported that planning applications can now be scruitinised online and finally that David Cameron had written to Baroness Young about the effects of the flooding on Ascott-under-Wychwood.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS:
Q: Roger Shepherd asked the District Councillor if Ascott were still in the first tranche with regards to flood repairs and prevention?
A: Hilary Hibbert-Biles confirmed yes they were.
Q: Nigel Braithwaite suggested that depth guaging on all the rivers up stream from Ascott would be a good idea.
A: Bridgette Crundwell reported that she had discussed the introduction of measuring devices on the River Evenlode with Lord Rotherwick, whom had expressed his personal support to the idea.
Q: Nigel Braithwaite asked whether a decision had been made with regards to the sale of 5 Shilling Quarries? And should he continue investigating the possibility of tipping inert waste at 5 Shilling Corner to cap the tip and fill in the old Quarry?
A: Stuart Fox confirmed that the Parish Council had decided not to persue the sale of this parcel of land and was happy for Nigel to continue his investigations and report back to the Parish Council accordingly.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
Elaine Byles reported that the Chestnut Tree on the Green was due its annual “cut back”. Clerk asked to contact Andrew Jackson
Elaine Byles reported that the date for the annual “Litter Pick” was due. Clerk asked to add this to Matters Arising in the March meeting in order to arrange a date for this to be carried out. Once date and time arranged Clerk to advise PCSO Kirstyn Tyrer at Chipping Norton Police Station so they could organise extra help with this.
Stuart Fox reported that the Village Green was in need of repair, where vehicles had mounted it and deep ruts had been formed. Clerk to ask Shane Barnes to address.
Stuart Fox reported that the Allotment Rents were now due – Clerk to write to all tenants accordingly.
There being no further business, Stuart Fox as Acting Chairman closed the meeting at 9.10pm and confirmed the next meeting would be held on Monday 10th March 2008.