Welcome to our award-winning Community Shop!
Opened in 2003, the shop was acquired as a bare shell in a new housing development. In a hectic six months, villagers raised funds to take the enterprise from bare brick to fully stocked shelves. Willing volunteers plastered the walls, installed all the services, laid flooring and obtained shelving, chillers and freezers. The delightful result is a tribute to all those who contributed in any way.
Now hugely successful, the shop crowned 2007 with three awards. In the Countryside Alliance’s Best Rural Retailer Awards, we won Best Village Shop in the South and in the National Finals, came runner-up in the same category. We were also Oxfordshire Regional Community Council’s Best Village Shop for 2007.
Our ethos is local shopping, local sourcing, to be at the heart of the community. The majority of our suppliers lie within 30 miles and we are members of the Local Food project. Trying to eliminate plastic bags, we sell jute shopping bags in green complete with the shop logo.
Our wide-ranging stock includes:
- Fresh Huffkins Bread and Rolls from Burford
- Free-range and organic meat and eggs
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Wines and spirits from Oxford Wine, beer from Hook Norton and Wychwood Breweries
- Baguettes, croissants, pastries and hot snacks baked daily on the premises
- Fresh sandwiches and filled rolls
- A wide selection of luxury goods and greetings cards
- And much, much more, all at competitive prices
Monday – Friday 7.30am – 6.30pm
Saturday 8am – 4pm
Sunday 9am -12 noon
New to the Village? You can order groceries from us when you’re moving in and the shop is a great place to meet people. Ascott is a lovely, friendly village.
Like to Volunteer? The shop is run by a small number of paid staff and over 40 volunteers. You’ll be given full training and find working in the shop is most enjoyable. So why not join us?
Come and see us, you’ll find a very warm welcome
Telephone: 01993 831240