- Rob Morgan (Chair)
- Bridgette Crundwell
- Laurence Mellor
- Philippa Carter
Responsible Financial Officer:
- Stuart Fox
- Angela Barnes
Cllr Pauline Marshall
2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 10 November 2012 were agreed, duly signed, dated and filed by the Cllr Rob Morgan.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
4. FINANCIAL REPORT:
- Chq No. 100845 A Badger & Son £420.00
- Chq No. 100846 WL Plumbing £62.50
- Chq No. 100847 CLPG Subscription £10.00 (overdue)
- Chq No. 100848 Bruern Farm £180.00 (incl £30 vat)
Stuart Fox, the Responsible Financial Officer presented the current cashflow to the meeting, together with the Parish budget and forecast to 31 March 2013 /2014. Following lengthy discussions on fundraising for Project Safe Play and the uncertainty of future funding from WODC and OCC Cllr Crundwell proposed that the Precept for 2013/14 should be increased to £16,250.00. This was seconded by Cllr Morgan and agreed unanimously. Cllr Mellor proposed that the Parish Council allocate £10,000 to Project Safe Play. This proposal was seconded by Cllr Morgan and agreed unanimously.
The Clerk presented hard copies of two emails received from WODC and OALC with regard to precept setting and a proposed change to the Council Tax base calculation. WODC asked the Parish Council to confirm its level of Precept and their view on the two options below:
Option 1. Do we simply allocate the grant in line with benefit and accept there are winners and losers: or
Option 2. Do we use the gains from some Councils to smooth the losses in other Councils, with the overall aim of a nil impact upon all parishes, if possible.
The PC agreed, by majority, that Option 1 would be more favourable. The Clerk was asked to reply to WODC accordingly, confirming the Precept and the PC’s response to the two options above.
5. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT:
6. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT:
7. PUBLIC TIME:
There were no members of the public present and so no public time was recorded.
8. PLANNING APPLICATIONS:
- 25A London Lane non compliance with conditions 2 and 4 (12/0187/P/FP)
Gone to Appeal
- 161807/3 Chaundy Barn, 45 High Street
The Clerk was asked to write to the Planning Appeal and confirm that the Parish Council have never objected to any planning applications submitted in the past.
9. NETWORK RAIL LICENCE
Nothing to report – Ongoing
10. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD RECREATION GROUND:
Cllr Carter reported on a meeting held on 19 November 2012 where it was agreed that the priority was to upgrade and add to the existing play equipment, as this project alone could cost in excess of £50k. In the New Year the plan is to start fundraising and applying for grants. Cllr Carter asked the PC if they would organise a Spring Sponsored Walk and other ideas included a Summer Family Olympics with BBQ, an Autumn Event to be decided and possibly a Car Boot Sale. Further meetings will be held with residents willing to help with fundraising and grant application.
Cllr Mellor reported that he had spoken with a representative from Lappset, who quoted £2967 + VAT to adjust the mechanism of the Waltz (Witches Hat). He reported that the SeeSaw was now out of stock and therefore parts are not available for repair work. It was agreed that the equipment would continue to be monitored. Cllr Mellor met Mr Timms on site to discuss digging out underneath the end of the slide; this is to create a pit to contain the playbark and do away for the need for boarding. The excavated earth could then be used to create a low bank around the Witches’ Hat; this would also reduce the need for boarding. Mr Timms will provide a quotation.
All these alterations are suggested to accommodate recommendations in the RoSPA inspection of 20 July 2012. According to the inspection, all pieces of equipment pose a low risk apart from the seesaw which poses a medium risk due to its sideways movement.
11. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SPORTS CLUB:
Cllr Mellor reported that the outside light at the gable end had been replaced. He reported on the paving area in front of the Pavilion, which when subjected to heavy rain, was very slippery. It was agreed that this should be monitored and in the interim a “Beware Slippery Surface” sign would be erected until the drainage had been addressed. Cllr Carter to make sign and Cllr Mellor to install.
12. COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN:
Cllr Carter reported on the recent heavy rain and that some properties at Ascott Earl had been close to being flooded. She reported that the Emergency Plan worked extremely well and the volunteers were excellent. She reported that the Bund and Swale came into play and proved effective. The biggest issue was the problem of vehicles driving through the floodwater, creating large waves which came close to entering properties on the bend. Cllr Carter reported that the ideal situation would be for the road to be temporarily closed until water levels had subsided.
Cllr Carter reported that the handlamps/torches were not fit for purpose and Cllr Morgan agreed to check which lamps are used by the Fire Service before purchasing new ones. Cllr Mellor reported that the sandbin would need to be replenished and Cllr Carter will contact WODC. Cllr Carter recommended that deputy co-ordinators be trained on the Emergency Plan for occasions when Councillors are unavailable.
Cllr Mellor reported on Winter Resilience – there were 10 volunteers that had come forward to help with using the machinery purchased to grit pavements. He had held a demonstration day and briefed the volunteers on Health & Safety issues, such as High Viz Jackets, goggles. He briefed them on the liability cover and gave each user/volunteer a set of guidance notes. Cllr Mellor reported that he was hopeful more volunteers would come forward.
13. HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD:
Cllr Carter reported that at the last meeting Helpers started to clear the bank opposite the Signal Box and Sunset House. This task will be continued throughout the winter months. Cllr Carter proposed a Litter Pick on the last Saturday of January 2013, this would be Saturday 26 January.
14. CHRISTMAS CAROLS ROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE:
The Clerk reported that the Tree had been erected and decorated and that she had received several positive comments. The final arrangements for Christmas Eve were discussed and everybody was happy with their designated tasks. It was agreed to debrief at the January meeting.
15. MATTERS ARISING:
County Councillor Highway & Transport Fund (formerly the Area Steward Fund )
Cllr Morgan reported that a site meeting with CCllr Rodney Rose had needed to be re-scheduled for January next year. He reported that work would re-start on London Lane by Mrs Beveridge’s property and that the culvert at Manor Farm would be replaced in the next financial year. He also reported that the overflow pipes on the Charity land would be replaced by concrete shutes.
CLPG Newsletter Winter 2012
- Letter from Simon Gidman (acting Chairman of Tiddy Hall)
- Letter from Volunteer Link-up requesting donation & Annual Report
- Letter from Citizens Advice Bureau requesting donation and Annual Review
- Email from WODC Weiwei Hu re Precept & Tax legislation (emailed)
- Email from OALC re Precept (emailed)
17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- Cllr Morgan reported that he had received complaints from parishioners with regard to the X8 Bus driving round Church View and mounting the grass verges, making a mess of the grass. He reported that he had spoken to Alan Field, who would investigate, but did ask for times and the bus registration number. The Clerk was asked to bring this forward to the January meeting under Matters Arising
- Cllr Mellor reported that he had asked Mr Barnes for a quote for a couple of additional works to the grasscutting contract. A quote had been received and Cllr Mellor and Cllr Morgan would meet Mr Barnes on site to discuss further.
- Cllr Mellor reported that an irresponsibly parked vehicle in Church View had led to one parishioner receiving a lot of complaints personally as neighbours assumed the vehicle belonged to an employee of his. This was not the case, it was a parishioner’s vehicle that had been moved from Shipton Road due to the heavy rainfall and unfortunately left parked inconsiderately. Cllr Mellor reported that he had been asked by Chris Badger if the PC could erect some wooden bollards, similar to those around the Village Green, on either side so as to deter parking. It was suggested that the local police be approached to provide official “No Waiting” signs to be used in the short term until other solutions are found. The Clerk was asked to look into this and bring it forward under Matters Arising at the January meeting.
- The Councillors discussed the letter from Simon Gidman (noted above under Correspondence) requesting a donation from the PC towards the refurbishment of the Tiddy Hall kitchen. Mr Gidman had been strongly advised that it was easier to obtain grants if he could show that the project had the full support of the Parish Council. Following discussions, Cllr Morgan proposed that the PC donate £3,500. This was seconded by Cllr Crundwell and the Clerk was asked to write to Mr Gidman accordingly, but pointing out that this was subject to the PC’s precept being confirmed in the New Year. The Clerk was asked to bring this forward to the January meeting under Matters Arising
There being no further business Cllr Morgan declared the meeting closed at 11.00pm and confirmed the next meeting would be held on Monday 14 January 2013 at 7.30pm in the Tiddy Hall.