- Philippa Carter (Chair)
- Sandy Timms (Vice)
- Laurence Mellor
- Mark Tribe
- Peter Rance
- Rodney Rose
- Tom Simcox
- Mark Abrey
- Angela Barnes
2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The recorded Minutes from the January Meeting were reviewed, agreed and then duly signed, dated and filed.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest to be recorded.
4. FINANCIAL REPORT
Authorisation of payments
£18,376.56 Trevor Stewart (Project SafePlay) Chq 100949
£286.50 Contribution to Clerk’s LapTop Chq 100950
£138.12 Mulled Wine & decorations Chq 100951
£420.00 C Badger Snow Fund costs Chq 100952
NB The council is owed £11,202.93 for VAT refunds and WODC play equipment grant
£900.00 Sport England (refund)
£14970.25 Parish Council balance
These were reviewed and the Clerk was asked to email a copy of the updated version to councillors, which had been approved by the RFO Stuart Fox. The updated version would be reviewed, agreed and adopted by the Parish Council at the March meeting.
Cllr Carter presented a list of the PC’s annual Income and Expenditure to enable the councillors to prioritise the PC’s spending and keep within budget. Cllr Carter welcomed Reverend Mark Abrey and invited him to address the Meeting:
Reverend Mark Abrey reported on the Lime Trees in the Churchyard. He reported that there were 25 trees, which were in need of professional pollarding. The Parish Parochial Council (PCC) had received several quotes ranging from £8320 to £4320. Reverend Mark Abrey reported that the Village Charity had indicated they may be able to help and asked the Parish Council if they would be able to contribute towards this project also. Cllr Carter reported that the Parish Council had in the past considered contributing £3,000 towards this project. She was concerned for the safety of walkers as the tree surgeon considers that the trees are now in danger of splitting, shedding large boughs and even dying. Cllr Carter had secured grant funding of £500 from OCC’s Community Fund. Cllr Carter proposed that £3,000 be granted, this was seconded by Cllr Timms. Reverend Mark Abrey thanked the PC and confirmed the PCC would be prepared to match fund the Parish Council’s contribution. Members of the PCC will also undertake grant applications and fundraising so that renovation of the paths could also be considered.
Grass Cutting Contract
Cllr Carter reported that tenders had been invited to quote for the Grass Cutting. Only one tender had been received, which was from the current contractor. This was reviewed and after discussion by the Parish Council, Cllr Carter proposed that a 3 year contract be awarded to Shane Barnes. This was seconded by Cllr Timms and agreed unanimously.
5. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
CCllr Rodney Rose reported that a full council meeting was scheduled for Tuesday 17 February to discuss the budget. He reported that cuts remained the main focus and that OCC had made a £285 million cut to revenue spend. CCllr Rose reported that the Chief Executive was going to be made redundant, which would further enhance the savings.
6. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
Please refer to Item No. 8 (d).
DCllr Simcox reported on the Local Plan – this would be presented to Cabinet next week and to full Council the week after. He reported that if there were any changes, this would result in a revised Local Plan and the consultation process repeated. If the current Local Plan was accepted a final draft should be ready by August.
DCllr Simcox reported on a new initiative of joint Council Surgeries. These are scheduled for the last Saturday of each month and ideally would include all 3 tiers of local government – County Councillor (Cllr), District Councillor (DCllr) and a Parish Councillor. DCllr Simcox reported that the first Surgery will be held on Saturday 27 February at the Wychwood Inn, Shipton-under-Wychwood and the second on Saturday 28 March at the Swan Inn, Ascott-under-Wychwood.
7. PUBLIC TIME
There were no members of the public present at the meeting.
8. MATTERS ARISING
- Defibrillator – A further training day has been arranged for Saturday 7 March at 10am.
- Hedge on Shipton Road – Ongoing
- Working together with the Wychwoods – This will be re-arranged for May when Shipton and Milton Parish Councils have agreed a date.
- Anti-social behaviour – Cllr Timms reported that she, Cllr Carter and Cllr Mellor attended a meeting at Chipping Norton Police Station, which proved very beneficial. The Police reported that communications with Cottsway Housing regarding this issue were regular but not very satisfactory. DCllr Tom Simcox agreed to speak to WODC Chief Executive, Leader and Head of Housing about the lack of communication and information from Cottsway, ask specific questions and report back to the PC.
- Footbridge by Ascott Mill – Cllr Tribe to check with Dan Weeks of OCC on current progress.
- Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG) – Date to be confirmed.
- Hedgecutting on Playing Field – This was now complete.
- Litter Pick – Due to weather conditions, this was re-arranged for Saturday 14 February.
- Grapevine Donation – This was discussed and a donation of £400 was proposed by Cllr Mark Tribe, this was seconded by Cllr Peter Rance and agreed unanimously.
- Annual Village Meeting – After discussion, the date was agreed for Monday 27 April 2015. The Clerk was asked to book the Tiddy Hall and invite the relevant organisations to attend and present their reports.
15/00253/FUL Change of land use and construction of a hard surfaced tennis court with surrounding fencing at 26 High Street Ascott-under-Wychwood
The Parish Council had no objections to this application.
Cllr Mellor reported that he had been approached by a parishioner who expressed their concerns with this application and the loss of agricultural land. Cllr Mellor reported that the parishioner would be writing to WODC planning.
10. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD RECREATION GROUND
Cllr Mellor reported that Moles were a problem once again and Cllr Carter stated that the Mole Catcher would be asked to attend and deal with the problem.
11. PROJECT SAFE PLAY
Cllr Carter reported that the Contractor’s work was now complete. The final stage was for the PC to source Junior Goal Posts. Cllr Carter reported that once all invoices are in she would be applying to WODC for the grant promised towards Project SafePlay. It was agreed that Cllr Carter would organise a Sign thanking all of the contributors to the project. Cllr Carter asked the PC to give some thought about an official “Opening”.
12. LOTTERY DRAINAGE
Cllr Mellor reported that a soak-away would be dug and the TGMS Contractor would carry out an Infiltration Test later this week. The soak-away will allow the rate of the flow to be recorded and a decision confirmed whether this project will fit the criteria to be funded.
- London Road South (Charlbury) private garden pond Mrs Beveridge – This will continue to be monitored.
- Standing water on the Shipton Road between Melplash Farm & Coldwell Brook – This will continue to be monitored.
14. ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SPORTS CLUB
Nothing to report.
15. COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN
Cllr Carter thanked Cllr Tribe for erecting the Flood signs when the Chipping Norton road had been flooded. Cllr Mellor reported that the pavement gritters had been utilised during the recent icy weather conditions.
16. HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
Please refer to Item Number 8 (h) Matters Arising Litter Pick. Cllr Carter reported that the next job would be to clear the Pound.
17. PARISH PLAN
Dean Pit – ongoing
Cllr Tribe reported that he had contacted Fiona Mullins at ORCC for advice on creating and using a Parish Plan. Ongoing.
18. RISK ASSESSMENT
The Clerk was asked to carry this forward. Cllr Carter and Cllr Mellor will review the RoSPA report written after the contractor had finished work in the playground.
Cllr Rance reported that unfortunately he was unable to attend the Parish Transport Representatives meeting at County Hall on Friday 16 January, but will automatically receive its minutes.
Cllr Rance reported that the Notices seeking parishioner views on OCC potential service reductions were up on Village Noticeboards and in the Village Shop, which he would then collate and forward to OCC. He reported that the GoRide service, now being serviced by Pulhams on a short extension to an existing contract ends in May. OCC have started the tender process and the new contract will come into effect at the beginning of June. Cllr Rance reported that parishioners had expressed the preference that if reductions were unavoidable they would prefer Option 2 ie services begin after 9am and and have a gap 1500-1600 but retain late afternoon service to enable convenient return journeys.
20. STANDING ORDERS
These were reviewed and agreed by all councilors.
21. WYCHWOOD LIBRARY
Nothing to report.
22. VILLAGE CHARITY
Nothing to report.
- Letter from Cottsway re 11 Shipton Road
- OALC Update (post fire)
- Thank you letter from The Wychwood Day Centre
- Email from Chris George re the Website. Query had been answered promptly by the clerk.
24. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
There being no further business Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.15pm and confirmed the next meeting would be Monday 9 March 2015 at 7.30pm.