- Philippa Carter
- Peter Rance
- Graham Ranson
- Liz Leffman
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public:
- No members of the public
Apologies received from DCllr Tom Simcox, Clllr Timms and Cllr Tribe.
2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes from the Meeting held on Monday 12 June were agreed as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
4. FINANCIAL REPORT:
June interest £4.88
Chq. No. 101074 £613.35 Clerks quarterly salary (including 1% pay award)
Chq. No. 101075 £154.00 HMRC PAYE
Chq. No. 101076 £110.23 Clerks quarterly expenses
6. REPORTS FROM COUNTY & DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
CCllr Liz Leffman reported that the wooden posts around the verges by the Village Green would be replaced sometime this week.
DCllr Tom Simcox asked for his report to be presented to the PC, in his absence. The Clerk reported, on his behalf; the communities’ facilities grant – in the last round only 3 applications were put in, so everyone received what they wanted.
7. PUBLIC TIME:
There was no public time.
(a) 17/01067/FUL 18 London Lane – Officer’s decision is due on 12 July 2017. If she recommends the application the Parish Council has asked for the matter to be considered by the Uplands Planning Committee which will meet next in August.
(b) 17/00918/FUL 18 Maple Way- The general plan has been approved but details are to be decided under delegated powers. There has been recent contact between the architect and Cllr Carter and construction is planned to start in Autumn 2017.
(c) 17/00937/HHD 45 Shipton Rd– This was approved with conditions. Cllr Carter has had several complaints that these conditions have not been adhered to.
(d) A/D/17/3168099 Chaundy Barn – see report from D Cllr Simcox
(e) 1 Station Place – Mr & Mrs Gillings would like to apply for permission to erect a single storey extension on the west side of their property. They have spoken to immediate neighbours and showed the plans to Cllr Carter. One concern is extra water run-off into the garden of 2 Shipton Rd and Cllr Carter will speak to Mrs Smith. The application has not yet been made.
9. MATTERS ARISING:
(a) County, District & Parish joint surgery – DCllr Tom Simcox will liaise with the Swan Public House to confirm the next surgery being held there on Saturday 29 July at 11.30am. Cllr Rance has agreed to represent the PC.
(b) Wychwood Church of England Primary School – donation to MUGA – ongoing
(c) Wychwoods Working Together – P Cllr Young (S-u-W) and P Cllr Trotman (M-u-W) wrote on 30 June confirming their support for lights at the Primary School now that OCC are not funding a lollipop warden. However, S-u-W PC queried why the existing lights could not be used. They would consider making a financial contribution towards new lights if needed but have asked CCllr Leffman to press the point at OCC that they should be funding the lights as they are making a saving on the warden.
(d) WODC Community Grants – See report from D Cllr Simcox. The deadline for the next round of grants is September 2017.
(e) OCC Grasscutting contract – Ongoing
10. RISK ASSESSMENT & GROUND MAINTENANCE
a) Village Green – The Martyrs’ Seats will be collected on 13 July 2017 for re-painting by their original suppliers. The clerk was asked to confirm that the courier is aware of the pick-up and return point as the seats are no longer on the Green. CCllr Leffman has confirmed that OCC will replace the fallen posts on the verge around the Green this week.
b) The Allotments – The garden waste needs burning and derelict sheds dismantled.
c) Waste and Dog Bins – All replacement bins confirmed and now ordered with WODC.
e) Memorial Playing Field, Playground and Pavilion;
- The handrail by the steps has been installed and painted.
- The gates have been welded and painted.
- The pedestrian barrier has been re-fixed and painted.
- Many thanks should be extended to Don Barnes, Roly Hartwood and Steven Townsend for their work on the gates, handrail and barrier. The drainage lines are suffering from the drought and we need to increase the rate of watering. Cllr Carter has taken advice about the most efficient and cost effective course of action and has had a lot of offers of help from volunteers. Cllr Carter proposed purchasing hosepipes at a cost of £160 – this was seconded by Cllr Rance. Although the drainage lines are not yet perfect, the playing field was able to host the Windrush Valley School Sports Day, the Pre-School Fun Day and a group of Duke of Edinburgh students camping overnight from Carterton Community School.
- The pavilion interior has now been fully painted apart from the kitchen. Particular thanks must be extended to Don Barnes and Mary Barnes who have given many hours of labour for free.
- Some radiators are still not getting hot and the Megaflow water tank has not been serviced for several years.
- Several window units need replacing. Measurements have been taken and the quote approved. There is a query about the contract which P Cllr Carter will resolve with the suppliers before placing the order.
11. COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN:
A decision needs to be taken about housing the Winter Resilience Equipment. This had to be moved from Crown Farm when Chris Badger retired last September and has been sitting outside the Pavilion. Cllr Carter proposed that the PC should not ask the owners of Crown Farm to re-house this equipment as the community is now in dispute about the proposed development on London Lane. She proposes that the PC approves a building of a shed at the playing field as per the original plan 12 months ago. This would be undertaken in the autumn by Shane Barnes.
Nothing to report.
Cllr Rance reported that he had been invited to meet Claire King at Ascott station on Tuesday 11 July. It was confirmed that sadly there will be no reintroduction of the Cotswold Line Card concession on the one and only morning train, neither does it look likely that GWR will provide just one Group Saver extra stop mid-morning to Oxford and mid-afternoon return, during July. Cllr Rance reported that the station is being repainted and re-branded in the new GWR green livery. He reported that Claire King had indicated that despite the planned introduction of new dual electric/diesel powered trains on the line, with a recast timetable, there were no plans that Ascott, Shipton, Coombe or Finstock would close.
Cllr Ranson, reported that had notified “Fix my Street” of approximately 20 road defects and he would continue to monitor these and any subsequent defects.
14. REPORTS FROM ORGANISATIONS:
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club
Ascott FC has been expanding and is looking forward to returning to their home ground. They have asked if they can create 2 pitches running East-West, one smaller than the other. They have offered to invest in dismountable netting by the hedge. Cllr Carter will speak to neighbours. A second set of goals will be needed costing approximately £750 – details to be provided by the Manager, Mike Ody. Ascott FC have offered to contribute towards the cost and Cllr Carter proposes that the PC purchases the goals and the Football Club and Sports Club make contributions. Two sets of sockets will also need to be re-sited – Mike Ody and Shane Barnes to liaise. Laurence Mellor and Cllr Carter have been liaising with Mike Ody, about the start date of play, given the difficulty with grass growth. They are aiming to start play at the end of September.
(b) Ascott Village Charity
Nothing to report
(c) Helpers of Ascott-under-Wychwood
Thank you to the volunteers from the Helpers who have helped on Pavilion re-decoration and who have offered help with extra water of the Playing Field.
(c) Wychwood Library
Nothing to report.
OALC June Newsletter
Mark Hopwood, GWR
CCllr Liz Leffman giving her apologies and confirming that the wooden posts around the Village Green will be replaced sometime this week.
Aaron Catterick of David Ogilivie Engineering has confirmed collecting the Martyr Benches on Thursday 13 July see Item No. 10.
Cherwell District Council – email and attached letter with regards to Oxford’s unmet housing needs
Clerks & Councils Direct
16. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
(a) Complaints had been received regarding the parking on the path outside the Swan Public House. It was suggested that the pub be asked to re-draw the lines, defining the car parking spaces.
(b)Cllr Carter had been asked about the replanting of trees along the verges in London Lane. However, it was pointed out that these would block up the ditches and grips which are the only form of drainage for the verges outside the 30mph limit. This would not be allowed by the OCC Highways Dept. There were no trees in exactly that position and it is possible that the parishioner remembers elms which were planted either within the hedgerows or edge of fields. To re-plant trees in those positions would be the decision of the landowners – Cornbury Estate and Messrs Hook of Crown Farm.
There being no further business, the meeting was declared closed at 9.45pm. The next meeting will be held on Monday 11 September 2017.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 11 September 2017