- Philippa Carter
- Sandy Timms
- Peter Rance
- Brian Leach
- Liz Leffman
- Jake Acock
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public:
- No members of the public
Apologies received from Cllr Graham Ranson
2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
The Minutes recorded from the meeting held on Monday 21 May 2018 were approved as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest to record.
4. Financial Report
Allotment rent Haigh/Gullard £10
P Carter 10/06/18 chq 101121 £79.84 (Weed killer £9.99 & Joint
Council’s meeting £69.85.
The Parish Council’s Financial Regulations were discussed further and the Clerk was asked carry this forward to the July meeting.
5. Reports from County and District Councillors
County Cllr Liz Leffman
CCllr Liz Leffman reported on the new legislation coming in to force in 2026 with regards to footpaths and public rights of way. She confirmed that any footpath or public right of way that had not been registered by 2026 will be lost. She reported that the regulations relating to this had not been finalised. Cllr Leffman suggested that parish councils form working parties to keep on top of this and compile a body of evidence.
The issue of potholes was discussed. C Cllr Leffman confirmed that under no circumstances should Parish Councils or parishioners take responsibility for repairing potholes. All liability would then pass from OCC Highways to the PC or parishioners who had undertaken the repair.
District Cllr Jake Acock
DCllr Acock referred the potential Cow Shed development and the Local Plan Inspector’s letter of January 2018 where he referred to the extra weight he attached to the Area of Outstanding Beauty (AONB). DCllr Acock reported on the speeding issues throughout the Wychwoods and advised that Lyneham have agreed to take part in a Speedwatch programme. There will be training for this in September and DCllr Acock invited representatives of Ascott to participate. The possibility of Ascott setting up a Speedwatch programme was discussed. A leaflet drop will be organised to find out if parishioners are interested in setting up a Speedwatch programme. DCllr Acock stated that he wanted to tackle the issue of improving sewerage issues in Ascott. Cllr Carter agreed to discuss this further with him.
6. Public Time
There were no members of public and so no public time recorded.
18/01617/HHD PROPOSAL: Single storey extension at Croft Barn 49 High Street Ascott Under Wychwood – Ongoing
18/01018/HHD 3 The Green Ascott under Wychwood Proposed first floor pitched roof side extension.
Appeal Ref: APP/D3125/W/17/3179654 12-18 London Lane, Development of 5 dwellings – Allowed 15 December 2017: (Original Application Ref 17/01067/FUL, dated 30 March 2017 -Refused by notice dated 10 July 2017) Keep listed for reference.
Cow Shed development
Bloombridge developers had written to the Parish Council requesting a meeting about the possible development of the cow sheds at the end of High St (a Cornbury site). Cllr Carter hosted an informal surgery for parishioners of High Street to discuss this. D Cllr Acock and P Cllr Timms attended. Most of the attendees were opposed to any development and a range of reasons given.
Subsequently, the PC held an informal meeting with Bloomridge to report the parishioners’ views. They confirmed that they would be applying for planning permission, probably in the autumn, but that they would like to present their plans to the whole village before that time, probably in Tiddy Hall (to be confirmed). Cllr Carter and all councillors agreed that it would now be in the best interests of the affected parishioners and the wider Village if Bloomridge engaged with all directly and not through the Parish Council. Cllr Carter expressed that if and when a planning application is produced, then she and the councillors will continue to scrutinise the plan to ensure Ascott’s voice is properly represented.
8. Matters Arising
(a) Wychwoods Working Together;
Cllr Carter reported on the joint meeting held with Milton and Shipton Parish Councils on Tuesday 5 June at the Swan Pub. This was a very informative meeting. Cllr Carter presented her Notes of that meeting, which were discussed and incorporated into this Parish Council meeting. The Notes have also been sent to Milton and Shipton PCs
(b) OCC Grasscutting contract – Ongoing
(c) Sign at the Ascott Earl Sheepwash – ongoing
(d) Footpaths – Ongoing
(e) Defibrillator – Ongoing
This was discussed in detail, in particular clerk and councillors email addresses and the Website and how to be and stay compliant. Cllr Carter and Cllr Leach to contact Paul Cunningham, who currently runs the Village website.
(g) Christmas Tree sheath – ongoing
The groundsman to be asked to mow down the weeds. Cllr Leach agreed to look into the possibility of a water trough. The Clerk was asked to send Cllr Leach a copy of the plan of the allotment plots. . It was agreed to do a leaflet drop advertising the vacant allotment plots as well as the Speedwatch training, referred to under the District Councillor’s report
9. Risk Assessment & Ground Maintenance
Cllrs Carter and Leach had met up and carried out a Risk Assessment. The ladies toilets at the Pavilion had needed to have a ballcock replaced. The outside light would need to be repaired – Cllr Carter agreed to organise an electrician to do this. The question was asked whether there should be CCTV – all councillors to give this some thought and Cllr Carter to take advice from the Community Police Officer.
10. Community Emergency Plan
Nothing to report
As agreed at the Wychwoods PCs Together, informal gathering on Tuesday 5th June, Councillor Rance contacted Margaret Burden of WOCT to propose a joint meeting with her and the Shipton, Milton and Ascott PC transport councillors regarding the 210 service. This to be better briefed on its usage and issues of shared concern that would benefit from such a meeting, with the objective of sharing ideas for its long term wellbeing. Contact has been made, and Cllr Rance awaits WOCT proposals to take the initiative forward.
Parishioners who rely upon the single weekday “Halts” service from Ascott, must take full notice of the major disruption to service between 6th and 23rd July, when no trains will operate through Oxford, and buses will replace trains. At the very least, journey times will be much longer!
The state of the roads and the road gullies were appalling and this issue was discussed at the Joint Wychwoods meeting. The gullies at the bottom of London Lane had become even worse following the recent torrential storm. Cllr Carter had reported this immediately to the Area Steward and C Cllr Leffman will take this forward. P Cllr Rance will arrange a site meeting with C Cllr Leffman and a Highways Officer to look at making the approach to the Chipping Norton road bridge less dangerous.
13. Reports from Organisations
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club – Nothing to report
(b) Library – Nothing to report
(c) Helpers – Nothing to report
From Paul Jackson (Ascott Martyrs)
Pat Bliss WODC – replenishing sand stocks in the sand bunkers
16. Any Other Business
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.00pm and confirmed the next meeting will be held on Monday 9 July 2018.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 9 July 2018