- Philippa Carter
- Sandy Timms
- Peter Rance
- Brian Leach
- Liz Leffman
- Jake Acock
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public
- No members of the public
Received from Cllr Ranson, currently on Paternity leave.
2. Minutes of the Last Meeting
The Minutes recorded from the meeting held on Monday 10 September 2018 were approved as a true record, duly signed, dated and filed.
3. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest to record.
4. Financial Report
This was circulated prior to the meeting to all councillors.
These were discussed again in more detail, but more time was needed to conclude. Cllr Carter suggested that a separate Financial Meeting would be more beneficial than trying to cover all topics within the general PC meeting. Cllr Leach proposed this, on the understanding that Stuart Fox (RFO) was present. Cllr Timms seconded this proposal. Cllr Carter agreed to speak with Stuart (RFO to organise a convenient date and time to meet.
Moore Stephens, the External Auditor had now finished the audit and submitted their invoice for payment. The Conclusion of Audit will be displayed on the Website in due course.
Cllr Carter presented a report, which detailed unspent items, savings and the status of projects for 2017/18 and 2018/19. This was for clarification following remarks from the auditors. All councillors were asked to consider this and bring suggestions for 2019/20 expenditure to the next meeting. The Clerk suggested that this could be included in the dedicated Financial Meeting. The 2019/20 precept will be set at the December PC meeting.
Cllr Carter reported on a request about PC funding for the Public footpath in the churchyard (funds already ring fenced). After the external auditors questioned the PC’s surplus bank balance, which included several ring fenced projects that had not yet been completed, it had been suggested that the funds for the footpath be donated to the Parochial Church Council by YE March 2019 on the strict understanding that they should be used for that project only. Councillors discussed this request and it was agreed, unanimously, that donating the money before the project had been started would set a dangerous precedent. The funds now ringfenced in the PC budget should, therefore, be used on another project this financial year and the Council agreed to budget for the churchyard footpath in 2019/20. The Clerk was asked to reply accordingly.
P Councillors’ agreed unanimously that the most important unbudgeted project for the village is to improve the safety of approach over the Chipping Norton bridge. (under negotiation with OCC Highways at the moment)
Income and Expenditure
|Top soil for the Playing Field
| Contribution to half of the cost of the stone for the shared Pound/Church Yard wall
(Unbudgeted. Project became urgent as wall badly bowing and Wychwood Project Volunteers became available to undertake the building work FOC)
|Clerks quarterly net salary
|Clerks quarterly expenses
|Deposit Pavilion Windows
|Railway Garden Steps
5. Reports from County and District Councillors
County Cllr Liz Leffman
CCllr Leffman reported on the Leafield Road which has been affected by badgers and confirmed that this was on the schedule to be repaired – she was unsure as to how. She also reported that the Ascott Road in Shipton had been resurfaced. Cllr Carter asked for the sign at the top of London Lane to be replaced. CCllr Leffman agreed to look into this but, in general, signs damaged because of a collision can a long time to be righted because of police and insurance issues. CCllr Leffman would look again at the “Private” signs being displayed on the public footpath by Kingstanding. C Cllr Leffman reported that she had spent all her grant budget for 2018/19 but would find out if other C Councillors had grant money left which could be applied for to help fund a water supply to A-u-W allotments.
District Cllr Jake Acock
DCllr Acock reported on the Local Plan and the lack of infrastructure planning for new developments. He reported on a planning issue in Shipton-under-Wychwood, which has resulted in solicitors being employed. DCllr Acock reported on an issue of “hate crime” within Witney TC. He also reported that in October Andy Graham, a councillor from Charlbury, would be helping him in letting the young people have their say on “Brexit”. There was discussion about the WODC roll-out of internet cable throughout the villages and P Councillors registered their dissatisfaction at the serious lack of information from WODC when there appears (from the experience of Finstock) to be so much disruption caused by this project.
6. Public Time
There were no members of public and so no public time recorded.
Appeal Ref: APP/D3125/W/17/3179654 12-18 London Lane, Development of 5 dwellings – Allowed 15 December 2017: (Original Application Ref 17/01067/FUL, dated 30 March 2017 – Developers have withdrawn their offer and the land is on the market again.
Cow Shed development
Cllr Carter reported that the developers acting for Cornbury have advised on their intention to hold a full community consultation in November. DCllr Acock asked to be copied in on the final date agreed in order that he could plan to attend.
8. Matters Arising
(a) Wychwoods Working Together – nothing to report
(b) OCC Grasscutting contract – Ongoing
(c) Sign at the Ascott Earl Sheepwash – ongoing
(d) Footpaths – ongoing
(e) Defibrillator – Cllr Timms reported that a new Defibrillator was on order
(f) GDPR – nothing to report
(g) Christmas Tree sheath & electricity on the Green – Clerk to ask the contractor to concrete in the Xmas tree sheath as agreed previously. Cllr Carter reported that she met Bannor Electrical on the Green to explain the electricity supply to the Xmas tree lights. The supply is taken from the street light, through the fuse box and to the sheath in the ground by the Xmas tree. Street lighting is no more than 6amp and therefore the cable is not strong enough to power anything stronger than lights.
(h) Heritage Lane – overhanging branches – Cllr Leach had cut these back.
Dog Poo Bin (additional) – Clerk reported that this had been requested. The WODC Waste Team would need to carry out a full Risk Assessment. Cllr Carter requested that it should be sited at the top of the Lane where it meets The Orchard.
(i) Allotments – update from Cllr Leach
Two new families have joined the allotment holders. These have each accepted small allotments, the second of which became available following the merger of two existing half allotments now held by Lloyd Kimber and his release of one previous held that was not adjacent. There remains one full allotment free: both families said it was too large a project to take on. It would be advisable to split this into two small patches before seeking new occupants. There is still some uncertainty over the final allotment plan but this should be resolved as new holders come forward. The shed previously identified as a risk has been demolished and we await the removal of the debris. All allotment holders have been contacted with advice to purchase seeds through MUWAGA. I would also like to readvertise the vacancies in the Grapevine. The best method of supplying water to the allotments was discussed. Cllr Leach reported that this was the biggest problem for allotments holders.
(j) Fly tipping / rubbish dumped – Laurence Mellor had advised Cllr Carter of fly-tipping at Kingstanding Lane. She advised Mr Mellor to contact WODC directly and as soon as possible as this was the WODC preferred process. She also offered PC support if WODC did not respond to his satisfaction.
(k) Martyrs Seats – regular cleaning – Cllr Carter reported that Sally Franks had accepted the paid post of cleaning the seats once a week. Cllr Leach agreed to draw up a concise Contract.
(l) Ascott Martrys Educational Trust (AMET) The Clerk presented an email received from Paul Jackson, representing AMET, to the councillors. This contained a request from AMET to place a 3” square block showing the QR code on the top of one of the benches of the Martyrs Seats, to present a 5 year plan to the Parish Council. There was a previous request to ‘take ownership’ of the Martyrs Seats.
This was discussed and, after taking advice, the Clerk was asked to reply explaining that before the Parish Council could consider any request, they would need evidence of the charitable status of AMET. The Clerk agreed to reply accordingly.
(m) Replacement Waste/Litter bin at the end of Dawls Close – Clerk reported this has been ordered.
(n) Hedgecutting – Clerk has instructed the contractors to cut this back -ongoing
9. Risk Assessment & Ground Maintenance
Cllr Timms and Cllr Rance agreed to organise a date to carry out the village “walk around”. Cllr Carter to organise the 4 yearly Tree Inspection. Cllr Carter reported that Executive Fire Protection had completed their annual inspection of the Pavilion.
10. Community Emergency Plan
Cllr Carter did not attend the WODC Water Day as it concentrated on the River Windrush.
CLPG have formally applied to the GWR Franchise to run the popular pre Christmas Saturdays, stopping service including Ascott under Wychwood.
Cllr Carter reported on a statement in the Cotswold & Malvern Line News, Summer 2018, Number 130 which stated ‘Three of the Oxfordshire halts – Finstock, Coombe and Ascott-under-Wychwood now have a poorer level of service than after the Beeching cuts of the 60’s. Sadly our decade long campaign for better services from Ascott Station – ideally situated right in the centre of the village – continues to fall on deaf ears. This might be a helpful quotation when answering planning applications.
The user requests for the WOCT 210 service extension to Saturdays, has sadly not proved possible, due to insufficient numbers of volunteer drivers needed to make it viable and reliable.
-Cable laying in Finstock and Ascott – refer to D Cllr Report
-Parking on pavements – It was agreed to put a request in the Grapevine for residents to be considerate and not park on pavements in the village. Cllr Leach agreed to write this.
-Blocked drain at Heritage Lane and Melplash Farm – C Cllr Leffman will investigate these and P Cllr will send her the photographs.
-Chipping Norton Road Bridge over the Evenlode:Following the PC resolution at the September meeting to seek an OCC consultation on a potential priority system to the approach to the Chippy Norton road bridge, Cllr Rance received the OCC prospective signage diagram and layout. This was approved by the PC, ex committee. At this October meeting Cllr Rance proposed the expenditure of £800 to pay for the consultation and this proposal was seconded by Cllr Carter. Cllr Rance has informed OCC of the decision and awaits notification of the consultation commencing.
13. Reports from Organisations
(a) Ascott-under-Wychwood Sports Club – Cllr Carter reported that the additional maintenance programme for the playing field was under way and is costing less than budgeted. This was estimated and agreed before the drainage project was started. The new owners of Windrush Valley School have committed to using the facilities and agreed to a regular pay arrangement.
(b) Wychwood Library – Ongoing nothing to report
(c) Helpers of Ascott-under-Wychwood – Ongoing nothing to report
OCC Publica – Cllr Carter to attend
OALC – update – Cllr Carter asked the Clerk to obtain a copy of ‘Arnold Baker’
AMET – QR code, assuming responsibility of the Martyrs Benches and presenting their 5 Year Plan to the PC (see Matters Arising (l)
OCC – Notification of new Chief Executive
WODC – Notification from WODC re the adoption of the Local Plan. Cllr Carter asked the Clerk to obtain a hard copy.
16. Any Other Business
There being no further business, Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.30pm and confirmed the next meeting will be held on Monday 12 November 2018.
Cllr Philippa Carter (Chairman)
Date: 12 November 2018