- Philippa Carter (Chair)
- Sandy Timms (Vice)
- Laurence Mellor
- Mark Tribe
- Peter Rance
Responsible Financial Officer
- Stuart Fox
- Rodney Rose
- Tom Simcox
- Angela Barnes
Members of the Public
- R C George (Wychwood Day Centre)
No apologies were received.
MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The Minutes from the November Meeting were discussed, agreed and then duly signed, dated and filed.
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest to be recorded.
Authorisation of payments
|£261.60||RoSPA||Chq No. 100940|
|£57.85||Zurich Insurance||Chq No. 100941|
|£50.00||Citizens Advice Bureau||Chq No. 100942|
|There was no income.|
Stuart Fox presented his budget forecast to the council and the setting of the Precept was discussed at length. Cllr Carter reported that she and Cllr Tribe had attended a meeting with Town and Parish Councils at WODC offices where the District Council budget was discussed. It was made clear at that meeting that future Parish Councils’ budgets are likely to be severely capped after 2015/16.
County Cllr Rose advised at this PC meeting that future County Council budgets will also reduce or eliminate some services that the Parish has been used to.
Ascott-u-Wychwood Parish Councillors were concerned that, when District and County Councils plan to cut their budgets, Parish Councils will be expected to pick up the cost of services they had previously not paid for. Discussion concentrated on the need to keep a contingency amount in Parish funds and how much that should be.
It was therefore proposed by Cllr Peter Rance and seconded by Cllr Sandie Timms that the Precept should increase by 18%, equating to an annual Precept of £31,000. This proposal was put to a vote – four votes in favour and one vote against. The Clerk was asked to reply accordingly to WODC requesting the Parish Council’s Precept.
COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
CCllr Rodney Rose reported that OCC’s budget had been released and was not welcome news. He reported that OCC were faced with more savings/cuts of £84million over the next three years. This was due to be put before Cabinet on 16 December. CCllr Rose reported that the Community Fund was still available and urged the PC to complete their request online. PCllr Carter agreed to do this. CClr Rose reported on the Extra Care Housing in Milton-under-Wychwood. He presented an A4 poster giving the details and agreed to drop some off with Cllr Carter for distribution to each household in Ascott.
DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
DCllr Tom Simcox reported on the anti-social behaviour in the Village and that he was working with all of the authorities to overcome this issue. DCllr offered his sincere apologies for his delay in dealing with this matter.
PCllr Carter welcomed Chis George and invited him to address the meeting. Chris reported on the importance of local funding for the Wychwood Day Centre and asked the Parish Council to consider increasing their donation to £150. After discussion it was proposed by PCllr Carter, seconded by PCllr Timms and agreed unanimously that the Parish Council’s donation would be £200 plus the proceeds from the Carols round the Christmas Tree to be held on Christmas Eve. Chris agreed to organise the collecting buckets and collectors.
Cllr Carter reported that there had been a problem with the transformer to the box on the wall. This has now been replaced and re-fitted, thanks to Cllr Tribe. She reminded all councillors that the training would be on Saturday 13th December at 10am. Cllr Markwell agreed to regularly check the 3 standard warning signs on the defibrillator.
(b) Hedge on Shipton Road
(c) Working together with the Wychwoods
The Clerk was asked to write to Shipton Parish Council and suggest some dates in February to meet up at The Swan Public House meeting room. The suggested dates are Thursday 5 February, Tuesday 10 February and Thursday 12 February.
(d) Leaflets Guides from OCC
The Clerk confirmed that the Snow Guide leaflets had been delivered by WODC and they were ready for distribution to each household, together with the Carols round the Christmas Tree leaflet and the A4 poster detailing the Extra Care Housing in Milton-under-Wychwood.
(e) Anti-social behaviour
It was reported that the tenants had vacated 11 Shipton Rd.
The clerk was asked to write to Cottsway requesting information on the status of the property and pointing out that lights and appliances should be turned off to reduce the risk of fire.
Cllr Carter was asked to write to WODC, Cllr Simcox and Cottsway to register our disapproval at the way the matter had been handled. The Council felt that it should not have been necessary to apply pressure for these agencies to take the problem seriously, that they were very slow to act and very bad at making contact with the residents who had suffered.
(f) Meeting with Town and Parish Councils
Cllr Carter reported that she and Cllr Tribe had attended this meeting which was held at WODC. She reported that fibre optic broadband is now available in Ascott. Cllr Carter reported that a presentation was given on the WODC Budget (see Item 4, Precept) and Local Plan. WODC hope that the Local Plan will be complete by August 2015.
No new applications received.
ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD RECREATION GROUND
Cllr Mellor reported that there was an ongoing problem with moles. The most serious have recently been dealt with and the others will be monitored. The football manager was grateful for the improvement to the pitch.
PROJECT SAFE PLAY
Cllr Carter reported that RoSPA had now commissioned and signed off the equipment and their final report would follow. The Playground was now officially open and that she would be applying to WODC to honour their promised grant once the contractor’s invoice had been received.
PCllr Mellor reported that more data had been requested and that he would be having a meeting tomorrow to discuss this.
-London Road South (Charlbury) vegetation on roadside
Cllr Carter reported that this had been done by Crown Farm workmen.
-London Road South (Charlbury) private garden pond Mrs Beveridge
This will continue to be monitored.
-Standing water on the Shipton Road between Melplash Farm & Coldwell Brook
This will continue to be monitored.
-Litter Pick 17 January 2015, 10am meet on the Green
This will be advertised and Cllr Carter will contact WODC for bin bags, grabbers etc.
ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD SPORTS CLUB
Cllr Mellor reported that the football team were doing very well and were third in the League. He reported that they were close to fielding a second team and that there is also a group of youth players training once a week.
COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLAN
Cllr Carter reported that she had completed the OCC Operation Centre Annual Survey, although they did already hold the Ascott-under-Wychwood updated Emergency Plan.
Cllrs Tribe and Rance agreed to check the water pump.
HELPERS OF ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
Cllr Carter reported that she had held a session at the Station bank and had planted some bulbs. She also reported that the NR contractor had formally apologised for trampelling on the bank while installing the public address system. Telent have promised money to pay for new plants.
Cllr Tribe reported this was ongoing and he would be contacting ORCC for their advice.
The RoSPA report had been circulated electronically to all councilors. It was felt that some of the photographs contained in the report were old and possibly re-used. Cllr Carter agreed to speak with RoSPA about this. The Clerk was asked to hold payment of the invoice.
Cllr Rance reported that CLPG did not currently have an Ascott-under-Wychwood representative. The meeting agreed to Cllr Rance’s proposal that he take on this role whilst joining the CLPG as a Private Member.
Cllr Rance reported that there were currently 4 services through Ascott:-
- Pulhams week daily to Burford connecting to Witney on a Stagecoach bus
- The Villager, M, Tu, Fri, to Chipping Norton
- The Villager on Thurs to Witney
- GoRide to Charlbury station
Cllr Rance was asked to check on the details of the Go Ride service and to arrange for all services to be properly displayed on the boards and on the village website.
CAROLS ROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE
The updated list was circulated and all were content with their duties.
Cllr Timms reported that there would be a meeting on 15 December, which she would attend and feed back to the Parish Council accordingly.
There was nothing to report.
-Letter from Rt Hon David Cameron re Dean Pit (emailed and forwarded to Chadlington PC)
-Letter from Rt Hon David Cameron re 11 Shipton Road (emailed)
-Letter from Rt Hon David Cameron to Pete Moss re 11 Shipton Road (emailed)
-Letter from RC George re Wychwood Day Centre (Mr George will be attending the Dec meet)
-RoSPA Report (emailed)
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
-Cllr Tribe reported that he had been approached about the state of the footbridge by Ascott Mill. He confirmed that he had contacted Dan Weeks of OCC and was meeting him on Wednesday. The Clerk was asked to add this to Matters Arising on the January Agenda.
-Cllr Timms asked if the Parish Council would consider starting a Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG). She suggested that the PCSO was invited to the next meeting to discuss the benefits of NAGs. A new PCSO has been recently appointed and it was agreed that this would be a good way for her to get to know some residents. The Clerk was asked to add this to Matters Arising on the January Agenda.
There being no further business Cllr Carter declared the meeting closed at 10.40pm and confirmed the next meeting would be Monday 12 January 2015 at 7.30pm.
Cllr Philippa Carter
Dated 12 January 2014