The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mr R Rose, (County Councillor) Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor) and two members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES There were no apologies for absence.
2. MINUTES There was one amendment to the minutes of 13th December 2004. Under Matters Arising: Shop; the figure of £2,620 was turnover not profit. The minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Vandalism: The clerk reported that P C Barnes had been in contact about unruly behaviour and bad language in Chestnut Drive. He has given out incident diaries and talked to the parties concerned.
Risk Assessment: The Chairman had spoken to Mr and Mrs Burleigh and they are in agreement that the shed on the pound should be demolished. Three quotes have been obtained, Pete Moss is the lowest at £550 and he has been asked to do the work. Andrew Jackson has inspected all the trees in need of need attention and is producing a report.
Kerbing: County Councillor and Clerk will look at further work to be done.
Post Box: No Progress
Cornbury Field: This has not been cut and is now too late for this year. It was agreed that we should request that it be cut in May next year. Clerk to contact them in March/April.
Bank Nr Signal Box and Drains: An acknowledgement has been received from Network Rail stating the work is in their schedule but as it does not concern safety is not high priority. District Councillor reported that John Clark District Engineer is talking to Thames Water and will include the drains problem.
Grass cutting: One quote has been received from Shane Barns. Clerk has asked two more firms to submit quotes by the end of the month.
Speed Signs on London Lane: No progress.
Water from Crown Farm: Clerk has received a complaint from a resident in Church View who will be writing to OCC highways regarding the state of the road. Clerk to send copy to District Councillor and John Clark and also talk to John Clark about the problem before his meeting with Thames Water. District Councillor apologised for not contacting DEFRA about the problem. Action: Clerk
Footpath Signs: One sign has been replaced on the Charlbury Road but the one at the Mill Lane end of High Street still needs replacing.
London Lane Sign: No progress.
Memorial Plaque: Screws needs replacing.
Chipping Norton Hill: Although highways have done some work water is still a problem. Clerk to contact John Clark and ask him to include this in his meeting with Thames Water. Action: Clerk
Overgrown Branches nr River Bridge: No reply or action from Mr Izod.
Dog Bin: District Council no longer have funding for dog bins. Bin will be provided free but there will be an annual charge of £90 – £100 for emptying. This was agreed.
Bin is to sited near the pound. Action: Clerk
Flicks in the Sticks: District Councillor reported that this appears to be going ahead. Clerk to speak to Gordon Halliday and Simon Gidman. Action: Clerk
ROSPA: Items from report still outstanding. Action; Mr M Pearce
Living Churchyards Scheme: Mr Fox has passed information to Tim Lyon who will discuss the idea with the PCC.
Hazel Coppice in Allotment Field: Awaiting reply from Cornbury Agents.
Parking: Residents in High Street have been asked not to park on the grass verge opposite the shop. They have cooperated but have commented that there is a parking problem outside the shop, mainly because people do not use the allocated parking spaces, making it difficult for them to get in and out of their driveways.
Notice Board Opposite The Swan: Pete Moss has agreed to repair it.
a) Information has been received from the Department of the Deputy Prime Minister regarding public consultation for the South East Plan. The Parish Council will be expected to publicise information on notice boards, the web site and in the magazine.
b) A questionnaire has been received from WODC called ‘Waste Collections and Options Consultation’ . Councillors were asked to complete it on the WODC web site. Mr Fox offered to photocopy the hardcopy and circulate to councillors.
04/1451/P/FP CONSTRUCTION OF EXTENSION TO EXISTING GARAGE TO FORM INDOOR SWIMMING POOL, CHANGING ROOMS AND PLANT ROOM. At: ASCOTT EARL HOUSE, SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD.
04/2165/P/: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) Deferred
The District Councillor reported that due to the in-depth report by the Parish Council and others regarding this application it has been deferred. It is understood that the applicant will produce a new plan showing more detail of all the activities at Crown Farm and how heavy traffic and parking will be dealt with. The District Councillor had raised the issue of why the planners had not been more effective regarding enforcement in this case and she feels that this question has still not been answered satisfactorily. Chairman to follow up with Geoff Lowe Senior Planning Officer.
a) Mr Fox circulated a cash forecast to 31st March 2005. Nothing had been allowed for work that may be required at Five Shilling Corner. The Chairman felt that the figure for tree maintenance was too low and was likely to be approximately £600. An additional expense would also be the maintenance of the new dog bin. Mr Fox asked the councillors to consider the report and comment at the next meeting and he would then produce a new forecast.
b) Mr Fox will check property book values. Action: Mr S Fox
C) Cheques Paid Out: WODC Autumn Playground Inspection 48.76
Clerk’s ¼ yr salary 436.80
Clerk’s Tel Expenses 7.50
7. COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
Mr Rose reported that much time was being taken up producing the budget by 15th February. He explained some of the difficulties involved in trying to agree a budget with a hung council. He also explained that there had been some financial mismanagement over the past year leading to the treasurer’s resignation and a lot of work is being done to rectify matters.
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
Mrs Hibbert-Biles reported that WODC have not received the grant they had hoped for from the government and it will be necessary to use the cash reserves again. The new responsibility for licensing will incur costs and these are difficult to estimate because this will be the first year. Negotiations regarding Chipping Norton Hospital MIU are ongoing and Bicester is coming up consultation which may have a knock on effect as doctors come from Bicester to staff Chipping Norton. WODC are consulting on green waste which may help with targets.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
There were no public questions
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Mrs Pearse asked if there was any point considering building stone walls at the entrance to the village similar to the ones in Woodstock as a traffic calming measure. Chairman said that one of the Woodstock walls has been knocked down.
b) Mrs Byles reported that a strip of wood is coming of the notice board at the end of High Street. Clerk to ask Pete Moss to repair it. Action: Clerk
c) Mrs Byles reported that the railings had been damaged over the bridge at Mill Lane. Chairman to report to Railtrack. Action: Chairman
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 8.55 pm. The next meeting will be held on 14th February 2005 at 8.00 pm.