The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were Mrs H Hibbert-Biles (District Councillor) and 3 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES There were no apologies for absence
2. MINUTES There were two amendments to the minutes of 10th January 2005.
Item 5 PLANNING; should have stated that Councillor Rose declared an interest and did not comment on Crown Farm planning application. Item 3 Cornbury Field; should have read this year not next year. These items were amended and the minutes were agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Vandalism: There have been no new cases reported. The clerk had contacted Laurence King at WODC regarding replacement street signs but they have not yet been ordered as they have to wait until there is enough to place an order.
Risk Assessment: Pete Moss has agreed to demolish the shed on the pound but has not yet done so. The tree report from Andrew Jackson was discussed. Items 1, 4 and 6 in the report were identified as the highest priority. (Report attached in minute book only). Mrs Byles asked if there were any grants available and if the light pruning work could be done by anyone, not necessarily a tree surgeon, which would be cheaper. The District Councillor suggested contacting Nick Dolby at WODC to ask if there are any grants available. Clerk to contact. Chairman to obtain two more quotes and to contact George Byatt to find out if there is any commercial value in the beech trees. A final decision can then be taken at the next meeting. The work should be done before the spring.
Action: Chairman and Clerk
Kerbing: The County Councillor and clerk walked around the village on 19th January to inspect the state of the footways and kerbing. Mr Rose has written to Paul Wilson at OCC Highways to request the following works: Repair footway on Shipton Road from the Swan to Tiddy Hall. Repair kerbing on Shipton Road opposite the Swan to Railway. Repair the road on Church View particularly on the corner near the entrance to Crown Farm where the water is causing erosion. He has also requested that the white lines be repainted on the junctions entering the village.
Post Box: No progress
Bank Nr Signal Box and Drains: No progress
Grass Cutting: Three quotes have been obtained and Shane Barnes is the cheapest. Clerk to write to him offering him the contract and to the other two companies declining. (Quotes attached minute book only). Action: Clerk
Speed Signs on London Lane: No progress
Water From Crown Farm: Mrs E Byles and Mrs M Ismail made a declaration of interest and left the room. Mrs W Pearse then took the minutes. Mr Rosen, a member of the public from Arbour Cottage, Church View, said he had written a letter to the County Council about the continual flow of water or effluent from Crown Farm, the state of the adjoining road and problems with the grass verge. The District Councillor said he should send a letter to the planners, also to comment on the increased amount of traffic which he had noticed using the farm entrance. The District Councillor also suggested a meeting should be arranged by the Chairman with Environmental Health and John Clark. Chairman will also write to Mr Badger to say the matter is being investigated and will mentioned the question of blinds in the riding school which Mr Badger appears to have misunderstood. The District Councillor said Geoff Lowe is now dealing with the Crown Farm application. The members are not happy with the split application. They however complimented the Parish Council for their excellent letter. Mrs E Byles and Mrs M Ismail then returned to the room.
Footpath Sign: The damaged sign at the top of Mill Lane has disappeared. Clerk reported that it was due to be repaired this week so it is presumed that WODC have removed it for repair. Clerk to confirm. Action: Clerk
London Lane Sign: No progress.
Memorial Plaque: Work outstanding.
Water on Chipping Norton Hill: J Clark, District Engineer is discussing with Thames Water.
Overgrown Branches nr Railway Bridge: Mr Izod had contacted the clerk to say that he feels the branches should be left overgrown because it slows the traffic down on the dangerous approach to the bridge. After discussion it was agreed that they should be cut back. Clerk to contact Mr Izod. Action: Clerk
Dog Bin: An extra bin as been installed near the pound. The annual charge for emptying will be approximately £90.00.
Flix in the Stix: Clerk had spoken to Gordon Halliday. The scheme is going ahead and it is hoped to show the first film in March.
ROSPA Report: Work on the bucket swing is still outstanding.
Hazel Coppice on Allotments: Cornbury agents have agreed and think this is a very good idea with the condition that vermin is controlled and should the allotment agreement ever be ended they may request the land is returned to its original state.
Mr Fox reported that work has already started.
Living Church Yard Scheme: No progress.
Damaged Railings over Bridge at Mill Lane: Chairman to report to Railtrack.
a) A draft plan on Rights of Way has been received from OCC and comments are required by 29th April. Mr Fox volunteered to comment after it has been circulated. Any comments should be given to Mr Fox.
b) Details of Britain in Bloom competition have been received. It was agreed not to enter.
c) Details of Best Kept Village have been received. It was agreed not to enter.
d) J Hicks Associates have written offering their services for auditing risk assessments and inspections of playing fields. It was agreed not to pursue.
e) Wychwood Day Centre have written asking for a donation. £50 was agreed.
04/2165/P/: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Deferred
05/0242/P/FP: ALTERATIONS AND ERECTION OF TWO STOREY REAR AND SIDE EXTENSIONS. NEW GLAZED SINGLE STOREY LINK TO BARN at
47 SHIPTON ROAD, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
a) Mr Fox asked for a grant of £250 for the Grapevine and £1500 towards the village shop as allowed under rule 137. Mr Fox made a declaration of interest as he is on the Grapevine Committee and the Village Shop Committee. The money for the shop would be used to reduce the mortgage. Mr Fox explained that at present there is £6744 in the bank and if these two grants are agreed with other agreed spending to the end of the financial year this would mean leaving a balance of only £1400 until the precept was paid and he was concerned that this was rather a low figure for any unforeseen expenditure.
A discussion ensued on ways of reducing expenditure including not doing all the tree work and giving less to the shop. There was also concern that the Parish Council may have to take on more responsibility for the upkeep of the pavilion in the future. It was agreed that essential tree work would go ahead and the two grants were agreed.
Mr Pearce questioned whether the grant to the shop should go towards reducing the mortgage or be used to pay more of the volunteer staff. Mr Fox explained that by the end of the year it was hoped that almost half the hours worked in the shop would be paid. The Chairman felt that this was a decision for the Shop Management Committee but Mr Pearce made the point that the Parish Council has the right to comment on the way the money is used.
b) Cheques Paid Out: £
Allotment Rent 100.0
OALC Posters 6.00
R A Newman (hedge cutting) 29.60
c) Football Club: There are now only three junior teams using the pitch. They pay a nominal amount to the sports club for the use of the pavilion but nothing for the hire of the pitch and the sports club does not think they can afford to pay anything. Chairman to speak to Roger Shepherd about the matter.
d) It was agreed that the rents for the pound, pavilion, cricket club and school would remain the same this year.
e) Mr Fox had circulated a letter explaining a proposal that the contract to improve to the lighting in the Tiddy Hall should be in the Parish Council’s name so that the VAT can be reclaimed. This was agreed in principle but Mr Fox reported that the project may have been deferred for the time being.
7. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT
The District Councillor reported that the council tax increase has now been set at 4.5% which will be £3.00 per annum on a band D house which equates to 5.1/2p per week. The council has had to provide 1.4 million pounds from its reserves. WODC are still the second lowest council tax in the country. There has been a survey on green waste collection, at present it can be collected by request. The council have exceeded their local housing target. They are looking into public time on planning issues and are studying how other councils deal with this matter. Hickman’s garden contractors in Fulbrook have a planning application for a waste transfer depot which will mean 40 lorries per day on the A361. There is to be a public meeting in Fulbrook church on 16th February. A special event is being held at the Windrush Leisure Centre to promote healthy activities on 19th February, people can try the activities free of charge. There are to be elections in May and Mrs Hibbet-Biles announced that she will be standing for the County for Chipping Norton and hopes to remain our District Councillor.
8. PUBLIC QUESTIONS There were no public questions
9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Mr Fox reported that the verges are becoming badly eroded on London Lane particularly outside Centuries House. Mr Leadbetter is planning to repair the verge himself.
b) The ‘narrow road’ sign near the river bridge on Chipping Norton Hill has again been damaged. Clerk to report. Action: Clerk
c) Mr Mark Dawbarn has been appointed as trustee to the Poor’s Estate
Proposed by: Mr M Pearce
Seconded by: Mr S Fox
10. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 10.15 pm and the next meeting will be held on Monday 14th March at 8.00 pm.