The following Councillors were present: Mr N Braithwaite (Chairman), Mr M Pearce, Mr S Fox, Mrs W Pearse, Mrs E Byles. Also present were 4 members of the public. Mrs M Ismail, Parish Clerk was in attendance.
1. APOLOGIES Received from Mrs H Hibbert-Biles, District Councillor
2. MINUTES There were two amendments to the Minutes of 20th June 2005. First para. Item 6 FINANCE should read £1500 not £500 and £24,000 to pay over the remaining years not 15 years. These minutes were then agreed and signed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Risk Assessment: Work on trees will start next week.
Kerbing and Paving: No progress.
Post Box: Clerk had spoken to Stuart Fairburn at Oxford Mail Centre again and there may be a possibility of replacing the existing box. The road will have to be dug out for a new box and they will have to check if any mains services run under the site. The existing box is on a brick pillar and does not need to be fixed into the road.
Railway Bank and Culvert: No progress. Mr Pearce to contact parties involved.
Action: Mike Pearce
Speed Signs on London Lane: Clerk has written to Paul Wilson at OCC highways to ask for the matter to be reconsidered. Awaiting reply
Water from Crown Farm: Mr Fred Russell has been checking the situation and the water appears to seep out in the late afternoon. Chairman to contact Neil Shallard at Environmental Health tomorrow morning to explain the situation. The seepage is black and has a very unpleasant smell.
Crown Farm Planning: No progress.
Footpath Sign: Mike Pearce has been in touch with Countryside Services at OCC and they say that the missing sign should not have been there at all and it is their responsibility to provide signs where the footpath meets the highway. If the footpath separates in the field it is the responsibility of the landowner to provide the sign.
Memorial Plaque: Work outstanding. Action: Chairman
Water on Chipping Norton Hill: No progress due to dry conditions.
Overgrown Branches Near River Bridge: Clerk to contact Mr Izod.
Insurance: The mower and tractor have been added to the main policy with Cornhill at a cost of £246.03. Clerk awaiting written confirmation.
White Line Painting (Parking nr School): The ‘keep clear’ signs and white lines have been repainted around The Green but the rest of work has not been done. Clerk has been trying to contact Paul Wilson at OCC Highways to find out why. Awaiting reply Action: Clerk
Chestnut Drive: WODC are looking at the site.
Pre-School Shed: No progress.
Churchyard Kissing Gate: Clerk has written to PCC for further information.
Flix in the Stix: Roger Shepherd will speak to Simon Gidman next week and it was agreed that the Tiddy Hall and Parish Council would pay £250 each towards the scheme. Two separate cheques will be sent to Shipton Parish Council.
Mobile Climbing Wall and Skate Park: It was agreed that the climbing wall would be hired for half a day during August at a cost of £50. WODC will provide equipment, insurance and staff to run the scheme plus promotional material. Participants will be charged £1 to use it by WODC. Clerk to find out more about what age group it is suitable for and contact the local schools to promote it.
ROSPA: The following points arose from the report.
· Cut back overhead planting. This will be done next week.
· Wood chipping surface needs to be raked, and topped up to give more depth.
· Slide: Spacing between barrier bars is too wide. Mike Pearce to contact Rowley Harpwood to make extra bar.
· Concrete cover exposed under slide
· Corrosion under top step
Action: Chairman/Mike Pearce
Trafalgar Day Beacon: Clerk has written to Shipton Parish Council to say we do not wish to join in the beacon.
Receipt for Morris Dances: Receipt sent to Don Barnes.
Road outside 5, The Green: Reported to OCC Highways again.
Cars Parked around The Green: A letter has been sent to Mr Hill in Milton regarding his parked cars.
Clerk: Information on the new rates of pay agreed on 1st April 2005 was passed to Stuart Fox. OALC can promote the position in their County Newsletter. Advertisement has been placed in The Grapevine. Clerk to provide job description for Chairman. Action: Clerk
4. CORRESPONDENCE There is no correspondence to be discussed.
04/2165/P/: CHANGE OF USE FROM AGRICULTURAL/EQUESTRIAN ALLOWING LAND, COVERED ARENA, HORSE WALKER AND STABLES TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH EXISITING LIVERY BUSINESS AND NON COMPLIANCE WITH CONDITION 4 OF PLANNING PERMISSION W2001/0730 TO ALLOW OUTDOOR ARENA ALSO TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF LIVERY (RETROSPECTIVE) at CROWN FARM, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD Deferred
05/0696/P/FP: ERECTION OF TWO STOREY EXTENSION at COTTAGE AT CENTURIES HOUSE, LONDON LANE, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. Refused
05/1070/P/FP: ALTERATIONS AND ERECTION OF SINGLE STOREY REAR EXTENSION at 16 MAPLE WAY, ASCOTT UNDER WYCHWOOD. New
04/1659/P/FP: DEMOLISH EXISTING DWELLING. ERECTION OF 9 DWELLINGS WITH ASSOCIATED GARAGES, ACCESS AND LANDSCAPING at 2A SHIPTON ROAD, ASOCTT UNDER WYCHWOOD
After discussion it was agreed that all previous arguments regarding drainage and sewerage and suitability of this site have not been addressed in the new plan. Chairman to write letter of objection. New
a) Stuart Fox reported that the internal audit was now complete and the following points had been made.
· The following expenditure had not been minuted.
10.5.04 100481 Transfer to Petty Cash 40.00
10.5.04 100482 Mrs M Ismail 19.20
14.5.04 100485 B7E Transport (skip) 117.50
10.8.04 100493 HLB AV Audit 141.00
· There are some minor discrepancies between some amounts minuted and the actual expenditure in the cashbook.
· One Cheque stub 100493 for £141.00 has only one signatory.
· The Summary differences sheet shows a different figure for allotments rents receivable to that shown on the Income & Expenditure statement.
· The analysis columns on the cashbook could do with an overhaul – it is particularly difficult to tie them in to the Income & Expenditure statement.
· It would be helpful if the Petty Cash book had a balance column.
b) The External Audit has been sent. There may be questions.
c) Section 137 expenditure that may be spent per head of population has gone up from £5.00 to £5.75.
d) A Cash Flow Forecast was circulated and Mr Fox made the following points:
· The balance of £650 is the lowest we have had and will make finances very tight.
· £200 for the tree on The Green may now not be needed as it can be deferred.
· Extra items agreed and not in the report are £50 for hire of the climbing wall and a £134 per quarter increase for the Clerk.
· The precept should be considered carefully next year.
e) Payments: ROSPA playing field inspection 50.53
Clerk ¼ yr salary 436.80
Clerk Tel. Expenses 7.50
7. COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT No Report
8. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS REPORT No report, Mrs Hibbert-Biles is on holiday.
9. PUBLIC QUESTIONS
Q. Roger Shepherd asked if the money could be made available which the Parish Council is contributing to the new lighting scheme for the Tiddy Hall. The work will start next week and the total cost will be £10,000. This is more than the original estimate of £750. The invoices for the work need to be submitted to WODC to claim the grant.
A. The extra money for this scheme will stretch the Parish Council finances even more than expected and the Chairman asked Stuart Fox to investigate if it was possible for the Parish Council to have an overdraft. It was agreed that Roger Shepherd and Stuart Fox would meet to make arrangements for submitting and paying invoices.
Q. Roger Shepherd reported that the Pavilion continues to have problems with water leaks and the Pavilion funds are very tight. There is £500 in the fund and £300 is already committed. There is also a continuing problem with vandalism more damage has been caused to roof tiles.
A. It was acknowledged that vandalism in the village is a problem but the Parish Council does not have powers to take action as it is a police matter. It was agreed that the local Police Inspector should be contacted as the beat officer does not seem to be very effective. Clerk to give Roger Shepherd direct number for beat officer so that he can report the latest incidents at the Pavilion. Action: Clerk
Fred Russell suggested that the Parish Council should write to villagers to inform them that the cost of vandalism will increase their council tax and they might then take more interest in the problem or keep a more careful eye on their children.
Fred Russell offered to cut back the growth on the footpath on London Lane opposite the Green. The Chairman thanked Fred for his offer.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
The clerk reminded councillors that under the Risk Assessment rules the playing field should be inspected regularly during the school holidays.
11. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The meeting closed at 9.30 pm. The next meeting will be held on 12th September 2005 at 8.00 pm